Brews and Blades.

For IC events and discussions within the rebuilt Narturlin.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

bedevere

Re: Brews and Blades.

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:10 am

Not at all. Though the consequences of someone asking me to kill so many? One death only, most likely. Anyone stupid enough to ask me such a thing, would either not know me at all, or have no grip on reality.

As for me being motivated to kill so many? there were times in my past I might have thought about it, but then many who lived through the betrayal had similar thoughts. For my part, I simply used what skills I had at the time. After all this time, I've gained a better perspective on some things, I suppose.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:09 pm

"Well they say ages brings wisdom. Unfortunately that is not always the case. Look at some elves, created at the conception of the world, yet until recently they still blindly followed the orders of an insane, child-like Megalomaniac. Did I mention that Erathil turned up at Fort Sylor one night of the defense, offering us a chance to not stand in his way. When we said no he sulked and threw a tantrum. Your would have thought him to be an elf of six years old the way he carried on."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:13 pm

Ah, that's all about the life you've lead. He's had nothing but people letting him have his way in the past, so he assumed that's how things always would be. A spoiled brat, I suppose.

Most heroes? Something in most heroes lives has gone badly wrong, teaching them that the world is a nasty place, and sometimes bad things happen. The heroes are the ones that decide to go and do something about it, or stop the bad things happening to other people.

Then there are a few that are doing it purely because they are nice people, or because they can profit from it themselves, or something similar. The ones doing it out of the kindness of their heart? Those are the ones I'm most scared of, usually.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:29 pm

"Usually? There are exceptions? And why should they be those you find the most scary?"

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm

because a lot of the ones who are doing 'the right thing', you cannot reason with. If they make up their mind that you are evil, and deserve to die, then they can be a far bloodier monster than any they would put to the sword for just that behaviour.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:34 pm

"I do not think I have ever met a "Hero" that does what we to for purely that reason. Thankfully. But there is still the unanswered question. There are exceptions?"

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 pm

One or two. Few around these days, but there have been a few that possessed that strong a conviction of right and wrong, and the common sense to realise that they are not an absolute force for justice, and indeed, were just as easy to fool as anyone else.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:16 pm

"Whilst we are on the subject, why do you do what we do?"

*He chuckles.*

"That was poorly phrased, but I'm sure you catch my meaning."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:23 pm

which bit? the adventuring? or the business? Or both?

The adventuring? Because I know I can make a difference. I'm not going to throw my life away, but doing nothing is just as bad as jumping onto the sword of an unstoppable foe, or onto the claws of a Midari lord.

The business? partly something to keep my mind busy, and partly something for when I'm not off thwarting the forces of evil, or whatever you choose to call what adventurers do. If by some miracle peace is actually seen again, then like I said, Adventurers will have nothing to do. I will. My potions have more uses than making it easier to kill people.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:35 pm

"I was talking about adventuring. In all our conversations, I do believe this has never come up, strange that really wouldn't you agree? As for me, I don't make any pretenses as to why I do it, I never have for there is little point. As a Life Elf Celebrant it was all about saving life, I healed those who the Heroes left alive, and the heroes who survived a fight, I tried to get people to see that death was not the answer to problems. Strange how now I deal more death than lives I saved in my previous incarnation."

"As for the business side, I fear even my talents in the forge would become obsolete if peace were to ever reign, there would be no use for weapons and armour, and making horseshoes and domestic tools would be a waste of my skills as well as mind numbingly boring. I know I do that now, but it is not solely what I do, and I only do it if the village has need of them. An occurrence that is becoming rarer these days thankfully. You know I really must train someone to make the mudane things, it would leave me alot more time for working on the part of my craft I am passionate about."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Horseshoes and nails? Well, I do good business in vitaea and soul potions. Sold what seemed like a litre of each to a suspiciously wealthy guy the other week. sell quite a few around the town, and to people travelling through the village. Accidents happen, after all.

I know they are no test of my talents, after all, I've gotten so good at them, that I can't imagine anything going wrong in the brewing process. However, I still make them. Business is business. What I make from these, I put into acquiring what I need, be it research, or... other tools... *Nathaniel smiles slightly as he says this bit*

But my point? People go hunting, and have accidents, or take on too dangerous a prey. This is one part of how my talents will always be useful. Hunting, Archery, and so on, will always be popular, for sports if nothing else.

Consider that you are a fine jeweller as well, and you will realise your talents are better suited to peace than you give yourself credit for.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:16 pm

*Aratains wanders back over to his weapons locker and places the sword away again.*

"True, but the part of my craft I enjoy the most is the danger and the experimentation. To craft something nobody else has ever thought of doing, or at least not succeeded in. That brings me more joy that say twelve Light Elves walking toward me saying please kill us and slake you hunger for the good of out kind ever would."

*He shrugs.*

"Bows, Arrows and jewelry for the rich and spoiled, that seems to be a pretty shallow existence to me. And if there ever was peace, what the need for experimentation would there be? And how many people would decide that an elf that eats souls is the next evil that must be eradicated?"

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:18 pm

If it came to that, then I would further my research. My potions might not be appetising, but they can sustain you for a time, at least. The moment people try to kill you because of your nature, and how Eremine herself recreated you? I'll find a potion to make you whole. It might take everything I have, but it would be worth it.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:20 pm

*Aratain looks at Nathaniel with an expressin that could say more than words.*

"Still, with the way things are at the moment it is a mute point, peace seems to be somehting that will not be achieved with in the lifetimes of this generation, and who knows if it ever comes we might be ready to settle down and what once seemed boring might be a blessed relief."

*He doesn't look convinced.*

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:20 am

We both have forever, and the enemies of peace number fewer than they used to. We have gone from an all out war, to a tense political standoff. Sounds like we are making progress towards peace, to me.

Perhaps we might not see peace for a long time, but if we depose enough tyrants, thwart enough evil plans, and so on, then eventually all these unspeakable menaces should give up.

Return to “Narturlin”