Weapons+shields

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Cromm

Weapons+shields

Postby Cromm » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:19 am

IS there a size of small shield buckler type that in the rules your allowed to have strapped ot the forearm while wielding a wepon in that arm?
If so whats the rules/limitations, i'm probs blind but couldn;t see any,...

like an r buckler would have been?
Better Crippled in Body Than Corrupt in Mind

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 am

I've heard of this discussion in other systems, and it always ends up reaching the same conclusion.

Bucklers that are strapped to the arm, rather than held in the hand, would amount to a small piece of indestructible armour.

Of course, if Will decides differently, I am off to buy 153 LRP bucklers, and I'm starting another melee character... :)
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Cromm

Postby Cromm » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 am

Strapped to the arm, not your arse!

Obviously, abusing rules made for characters with cool roleplay ideas is just... yeah :-)

Of course, it's the system manager that helps make the system a lot and sanctions/allows this kind of abuse/ruling.

A VERY small (18" or less) indestructable piece of armour isn;t actually that much, they would be quit close to your upper arm/face/inner body anyway, so a normal shield is MUCH more powerful.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:54 am

Just a quick note here an 18" buckler strapped to my arm would cover from my shoulder to mt wrist, so that would amount to a arm's worth of indestructable armour.

A 12" buckler would cover my entire forearm which would half the area that could be damaged.

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Ok so...

If it's strapped to your arm it loses a certain amount of manouverability...

But then, we have to think, you are then carrying two things that represent things that weigh a hell of a lot more...

Perhaps... yes, but you cannot apply any sort of weapon skill to that weapon...?
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Cromm

Postby Cromm » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:34 am

Hmm, howabout you just lose 1 damage dealt by that arms weapon as your movement is a little restricted, AND you can only wear a buckler on one arm.

Or possible, make a skill for it, -2 damage w/out the skill -1 with it. thoise penalties seem quite fair, I mean it is onyl a small part of your body anyway thats unhurtable.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 am

I think it would be far easier to say either:

1. No, it simply can't be done at all as you have one limb that is effectivly indestuctable.
Or

2. If you have a buckler strapped to your arm you cannot use a weapon in that hand, you can however use a two handed weapon (this is exceptionally difficult and is what bucklers were designed for). With this option you and either use the buckler to parry, or swing with the weapon with both hands.

Personally I would go with the first one, as even with the limitation it still brings me back to the point of having a near indestructable limb, and a defensive barrier that cannot be dropped or removed.

Bucklers are lovely in real life, but there is no effective way of balancing them in a LARP system.

Cromm

Postby Cromm » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:51 am

Hmmmm, You coudl say, like, a sword is like an indestructable lim, thers plenty of other targets, if their just going for your offhand forearm all the time... then they arent a very good fighter... The buckler really isn't that powerful, it's hard to use effectively.

I think if you can roleplay having a buckler strapped to your arm AND wield a weapon in that hand then yeah, it's quite a skill.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:42 am

Someone actively trying to parry with their offhand will gain great defensive capabilities with it, especially as in 90% or more of the times, it will be the natural side to face their opponents sword arm.

I'll be honest. If Bucklers were infinite hit armour for one location only, that couldn't be fumbled / disarmed, I'd target them first every time with rust / decay / shatter spells. And I'd consider this IC appropriate, as if someone has otherwise indestructible armour, then getting rid of it ASAP makes rather good tactical sense.

Perhaps therefore, just buy a charm off a crafter, to absorb the first destruction effect cast at you in each fight?

*I'm off to find a crafter who has reason to dislike destruction effects*
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:05 am

I bring your attention back to this.

quillkeeper wrote:An 18" buckler strapped to my arm would cover from my shoulder to mt wrist, so that would amount to a arm's worth of indestructable armour.

A 12" buckler would cover my entire forearm which would half the area that could be damaged.

Cromm wrote:Hmmmm, You coudl say, like, a sword is like an indestructable limb, thers plenty of other targets.

Swords are not indestructable limbs...... a sword is held not strapped to the arm covering at least 55% of it. Also there is at least two effects in the system that that can make you drop held items, if a buckler is strapped to the arm then these effects cannot target it..

Cromm wrote:if their just going for your offhand forearm all the time... then they arent a very good fighter...

bedevere wrote:Someone actively trying to parry with their offhand will gain great defensive capabilities with it, especially as in 90% or more of the times, it will be the natural side to face their opponents sword arm.

This is a very valid point, unless someone is dual wielding weapons then your offhand is always (except with the possibility of a left handed person fighting a right handed one) the most presentable target, so is likely to absorb at least 40% of blows, with a buckler strapped to your arm (especially an 18" one that covers the whole arm) you will likely ignore 4 out of every ten blows.

Cromm wrote:The buckler really isn't that powerful, it's hard to use effectively.

I disagree, the way you are proposing to use it it is far too powerful.

Cromm

Postby Cromm » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:26 am

Oh no, I was just asking if there was rules for it :-)

I just like to put up other points for debate when people say stuff :-)

I can see why it would be very powerful if someone was good with it.

Overall i'll porbs just use a 42" shield and hidebehind it :-)

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 pm

If you're wielding a weapon and buckler (or shield for that matter) you can't apply any damage grades to the blows from that weapon for a) system balance and b) an attempt to apply some comparision to what would happen.

Done :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Jenny

Postby Jenny » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:35 pm

quillkeeper wrote:
This is a very valid point, unless someone is dual wielding weapons then your offhand is always (except with the possibility of a left handed person fighting a right handed one) the most presentable target, so is likely to absorb at least 40% of blows,

If your non-weapon hand is absorbing that many blows, then revising your fighting stance might help. Not that it makes any relevance to a buckler, which would be primarily defensive.
"The good is the enemy of the better" - Antonet

Morris Starlight's Flying Circus - White Clown/Wire Walker/ Fire artiste/ Pantomime/ Stilts/ Punch and Judy Juggling/ Magician/ Illusionist/ Animal Magic....and much more!!

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:17 am

Did I say absorb...... I meant attract, just from the simple fact that your opponents weapon-arm is closest to your off-arm.

If you had a buckler strapped to your arm you could make it absorb that ammount of blows with you difficulty.

Will wrote:If you're wielding a weapon and buckler (or shield for that matter) you can't apply any damage grades to the blows from that weapon for a) system balance and b) an attempt to apply some comparision to what would happen.

Should that read a weapon and a shield/buckler in the same hand, or just at all?

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Yes... yes it should read that... :oops:

Return to “HoP Rules”