Should mages be as fragile as they are?

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Rebecca

Re: Should mages be as fragile as they are?

Postby Rebecca » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't really know the light spell list, so I can't respond with too much certainty... But it sounds less like shadow is overpowered than that light is underpowered and needs rewriting. Perhaps stronger defensive abilities, a shield you can cast on others, ranking Aura so it gives you 5DRs at circle 5, etc...

While I'd consider that switching shield to meta to be a good idea if it is to be tied to any particular sphere, I'd say that the problem of making it light-based only is that you'd be allowing the shield system to fall into a forced alignment choice, since only goodly and neutral characters could access it. No reason shielding yourself from being struck should feel like it was part of a moral stance.
Uukumanu - ranger and spirit seeker
Tuvstarr - Black Queen of Pharon Glos
Imliss - High Elven researcher in Blood Magic
Aetheldred - Sorcerer and psychomancer, daughter of the Völva of the Blood of Alfhild

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:19 pm

my view:

Include a new spell in every sphere, that is the same as SoP/SoD. Every caster can then have some protection. Also, these wouldn't stack...

I don't think Battle Caster is too cheap/strong.

I don't feel any caster class stands out as too strong, neither too vulnerable.

Ben wrote:I would suggest playing a class that suits your play style.

This.

I am not opposed to change, but do not feel comfortable with things becoming more complicated. I'd always lean towards fewer classes, no pathing. If it's massively important to you that things are tweaked, this is what the Uniques system is for...
Señor Ref

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm

@Rebecca. Sorry but Shadow is by far the strongest circle at the moment. It is the most versatile and dips into almost every type of magical spell. Giving shield over to light is thematic and means that evil casters have to focus less on defence and more on offence which is what they should. As highlighted previously, there are plenty of ways to stay alive.

If we are going for sheer system balance. I would remove shield from shadow, leave it in light.

I sympathise with 'evil people need to live too' but they have plenty of offensive options which achieve exactly that. (domination, destruction) They just don't survive storms, which are phasing out of the system - and are easily countered by magical DRs
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Include a new spell in every sphere, that is the same as SoP/SoD.

How about remove SoP and SoD and change Shield of the Elements so that every point of essence grants you 1 hit against everything or 2 against the element in question/its opposite.

So "Shield of the Elements: Light 20" would grant either 20 hits against physical (as well as fire, water, earth, water) or 40 hits against Light and Shadow (or a combination of both)?

The upside of this is that if you have "Shield of the Elements" and "Shield of Purity/Shadow" currently you have to keep track of both tallies.

The downside is that you could get halves ("I have Shield of Fire 20 up, get hit with a strike so have 17.5 left). The easiest way is to think of it as giving 40 hits and the element in question takes 1 point off, anything else takes 2 points off.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Or, more simply, get rid of Shield of the Elements extra protection v own element but while you have it active it grants a DR to that Element and its opposite.

Eg you have Shield of Fire 20 up, until it goes down you have 20 hits v anything but you also have 1 DR v Fire and Water.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 pm

^much like. Possibly with the proviso that you can only have one such shield active at a time... Or a certain number of shield points per threshold, unless you don't mind high level casters rocking up with 60 or 80 globals.
Uukumanu - ranger and spirit seeker
Tuvstarr - Black Queen of Pharon Glos
Imliss - High Elven researcher in Blood Magic
Aetheldred - Sorcerer and psychomancer, daughter of the Völva of the Blood of Alfhild

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Like lots of Ben solutions, elegant. Getting rid of Shield of the Elements means you don't have different globals vs different elements. But it still takes into account what elements you chose...

+1 to Rebecca: You can only have one such shield up at a time, casting a new one destroys the old one. If casters want multiple such shields they can talk to the Uniques team.

Other than that, great! :)
Last edited by Huw on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Yeah, I think having 20 is enough at one time: get out of wherever you are and recast if you start taking huge amounts of damage!

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 am

Earth Elves :)
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “HoP Rules”