Arch Celebrants and High Mages

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

Re: Arch Celebrants and High Mages

Postby Huw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm

I don't think High Mages are too squishy or rubbish. I like High Mages. My though was/is that their big selling point - the academic/magic modifier - has been kind of stolen by the introduction of Arch Celebrants, and they could use something to make them not necessarily more powerful, but more interesting; make them stand out from an Arch Celebrant.

Ben's idea of getting rid of Arch Celebrant I like and is a simple solution. I vote that. Not sure about getting rid of Mage - less magic ability but potential for more armour makes them suit a similar but different style of play.

Animal Aspects I like. Put some up standardly after discussion and let players apply for more via uniques. Once per threshold with a skill cost, kind of like vows.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:24 am

Will wrote:Srsly though, I do think that Arch Celebrant has an edge on High Mage, mostly due to vows, so something nice for High Mage would be cool. I don't think essence is it, cause a) that's boring b) at high end, not that useful.

Vows are reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy bad generally. The up sides are pretty minimal. If it's a balance point though,take away the free one.

Then they are the same, fundamentally, at starting and can buy vows where a high mage can buy more spheres as they have a larger influence list.

Seems pretty balanced.

To be honest, I think they are pretty balanced as is and don't see the argument as having much merit
............................................................................Image

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 am

I dunno why people keep saying that they're bad... some of them are really tasty...
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 am

Will wrote:I dunno why people keep saying that they're bad... some of them are really tasty...

Some of them are fine. Some have some decent upsides at higher skill thresholds. Most of the time, most of them aren't worth getting and aren't really a "class defining powerful benefit"
............................................................................Image

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 am

Don't think they were ever meant to be class defining, just perks that you could adapt and tweak a character with.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 am

When the system first began, vows were't part of it. I wrote them as something interesting people could do and in return receive a benefit. It's possible they were priced out of the market with the skill costs assigned
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:06 am

Ben wrote:When the system first began, vows were't part of it. I wrote them as something interesting people could do and in return receive a benefit. It's possible they were priced out of the market with the skill costs assigned

Im not saying there is anything wrong with vows just that people shouldnt believe them to be some huge benefit.

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:06 pm

No-one buys vows. You take the free one. You get the most expensive, highest skill cap you can like protection or strife etc. Honestly, just make it like warrior stances; you can't pick a free vow that is heroic or higher. You can save your vow until 60 skill and take a legendary like cautious etc.

Am I making sense?
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “HoP Rules”