Armour Questions and Suggestions

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Armour Questions and Suggestions

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm

DRs are very powerful in the game and so they are relatively rare. That said, automatically saying "wow, that armour is really heavy/strong, we'll call it master crafter and therefore it grants a DR" is something we could do more.

Come along, see how the game works and see what you think. This is a game and although we try to make things realistic, we have to temper this with what works as a game.

I swing my sword full pelt at your head and you're probably dead. In the game, not so much. Basically in real life compared to the game: people are much more fragile, armour offers a lot more protective and weapons are a lot more powerful. We're a bit Hollywood in that respect and in the same way that Hollywood heroes might shrug off all sorts of crippling/fatal injuries to make a better story, so do we.

There are systems out there that are more realistic: one hit to an unarmoured location and you're on the floor, so I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that it's a different ethos.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm

The reference thing was a joke...

But to paraphrase what I think everyone else is saying is this:

It's a fantasy game not a historical re-enactment.

Were it a historical re-enactment most players wouldn't have armour, in fact most arguments concerning the use of armour tend to become invalid because it was so expensive it wasn't really popularised amongst common troops. The entire idea of trying to impose strict rules on larp based on history is ridiculous. Without giving armour a seperate value to every different damage type (plate mail is good verses blah blah blah and bad verses blah blah blah) which gets EVEN more complicated when you factor in elements of magic, we've gone for the simpler option. The 'charming' option - I think it's the best word to describe this system in it's brilliant simplicity. The rules really just add a little flavour and a little structure to what is essentially big kids playing in the park. There are thousands of historical mistakes in tv shows, in movies, and we forgive them all because they hold a narrative together.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 pm

|
Last edited by Alexander on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Fiore... of the noble house of dei Liberi of Premariacco... in his youth wanted to learn how to fight and the art of combat in the barriers. Of Spear, Axe, Sword and Dagger, and of fighting on foot or mounted, armoured or not armoured."

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Don't think anyone's annoyed :) I think one thing we've always been proud of is always having very open discussions about our rules and in turn being very open to altering them according to feedback :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 pm

The laws of physics were (probably) the same then.

Not the same on Velmaneth (where HoP takes place). It's only the size of Earth's moon yet has the same gravity and horizon. It's core is made of magic crystal and 99% of the world is covered in water. The sun and 3 moons rotate around the planet.

And there's magic.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 pm

99% seems a bit much...

No no, I just checked it, that's actually quite accurate. Wow, Pargon is tiny...
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Will wrote: I think one thing we've always been proud of is always having very open discussions about our rules and in turn being very open to altering them according to feedback :)

Tear
............................................................................Image

Return to “HoP Rules”