Meditate/ 20 Skill

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Re: Meditate/ 20 Skill

Postby Will » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 am

Luke wrote:The more I think about this, the more I come to the following conclusion.

Remove caps, just let everyone play what they want, ask people to confirm their characters beforehand, write adventures tailored specifically for the party mix.

I am aware this is basically a reversal of my previous thought...

I would agree, but I'm not convinced it ever works well.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with a little skill boosting to even the playing field a little, or down skilling.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:01 pm

There is an argument that abolishing skill caps will make for a more natural and realistic blend of characters.

Personally, I don't really care, low, medium or high.

People should accept that if they play a 10 skill character on a no max, they will be shit in comparison. Don't see the point in moaning about it.

I like the "no threshold" idea. I think we have enough competent refs to cope with it and just have policy of "must inform refs at the latest 1 month in advance. if you don't they have the right to refuse you playing a character"
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 pm

People should accept that if they play a 10 skill character on a no max, they will be shit in comparison. Don't see the point in moaning about it.

But that doesn't work well for new players or even experienced players starting a new character and I don't want to discourage either of these things.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with a little skill boosting to even the playing field a little, or down skilling.

Downskilling always feels odd to me: I'd rather people take the opportunity to start a new character.

My feelings on boosting haven't changed: Johnny X goes along for the first time and is boosted to 60. Billy Y is already 60. Billy gets killed he's lost 50 skill. Johnny gets killed he's lost nothing. Douchey Dave just plays boosted assassins and kills players, so what if he gets caught and killed?

Boosting cheapens the whole process: you care less about them - if they die or you just want to switch character, so what? You don't get to learn the class, it means you can create a perfectly spent character and in getting to X skill you gain friends, enemies, plot, roleplay and stories - things you just won't have.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:35 pm

IMO (Only an opinion, I'm quite black/white in stating what I like and don't like [In regards to the afore mentioned colours, I like them both {Yes, I'm aware one is a shade}])

I would remove downstating. I don't really like it. I saw the IC use of piddling, and I accept that sometimes people can lose skills/str/dex IC (In regards to either Weakness/Some Effect) but I wouldn't have it as a pre-planned "You can play your higher character at 30 skill".

In regards to boosting, I'm not really a fan either.. I don't manage to get a strong emotional connection with a character I've not been with since the beginning. I know the good effect is how it allows people to play a certain character at a higher event but in all honesty I'm agreeing with much of what Ben says. The idea that it cheapens the process and can create an awkward situation where people care less about their character and are willingly reckless with it.

I would remove them both, except for the use of Boons, which I would perhaps limit to being able to add no more than [Threshold x4] prior to any adventure/event.

So between 10-29, you could boon up to an extra 4 skill/essence each event
at 30-59, you could boon up an extra 8
60-119, you could boon up an extra 12
120+ perhaps no limit

What it basically does is slowly allow you to progress your character should you wish to boon. I appreciate a lot of the argument for boosting would be for the people who couldn't make every day event, but still contributed to the club and wanted to boon their character to a median level before a Saga/3-Day but if we're switching to an event system that should be an equal playing ground.

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Could I suggest maybe just removing boosting and downstatting, remove skill caps for adventures but have characters gain skill as the event progresses. I really like this... because with an event system it's a bit weird to just suddenly become awesome after an event, there are justifications both ways but I think it makes starting a ten skill character on a weekend event much more inviting. It also means that there are additional roleplay hooks if you want to 'learn' to read and write and also people may buy skills specifically useful for the event. Hey guys I'm a celebrant of earth and we have no healer... i wasn't going to buy life magic but gods I've spent all this event bandaging people..maybe it could be useful''

it means you don't have to stay shit for the whole weekend and it also makes you feel like your character is slowly progressing instead of being boosted after every event.

It also makes it easier to ref for because as the event goes on you can ramp up the monsters a little bit, which makes the event feel more dramatic, if people are learning skills and every monster so far has called double, why not put in a boss who calls triple or quad? The party will have access to those bigger spells, that extra essence, those new skills on that last day, and they better learn how to use them effectively.

I also think it's the simplest solution, it would make a very organic world where big characters are present at big events...
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Our public have spoken :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Jake

Postby Jake » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Luke wrote:characters gain skill as the event progresses.

Didn't this happen at Sons of Varya? If not.... I was doing it anyway.. Really enjoyed it too.

{Yes, I'm aware one is a shade}])

ERM... black is simply the absence of light, neither a colour nor a shade. YEAH.
Doran Onatah - Orc celebrant of Gerethenax
Duvall - Sellsword and wanderer

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 pm

I've always said assume you get an extra 2/3 skill/essence every section to spend during an event

Phil.Priest

Postby Phil.Priest » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Stevie wrote:{Yes, I'm aware one is a shade}])

And the other is a sprite :)
Kalist, Hope-Bringer, The Emissary of Hope
Lazar, God of Darkness
D'arvan Weyoun of House Aerielys
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Return to “HoP Rules”