Mind over Magic

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Hatsuo1980

Mind over Magic

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:30 pm

I've been having a read and wondered if a few things could be clarified or needed some wording changes/enhancements:

A player character Psycomancer gains one tier when starting and an additional tier at every threshold, up to Epic (120 skill). Each tier after the first costs 5 skill.

As 0 is a threshold, this implies that you start with 1 for free and can buy an additional straight away.

Is the 5 skill a flat rate or does it increment like everything else in the system (5/6/7)?

Why do you not get access to another Psycomantic tier at Ultra (300)?

If you should get access to another at 300, how does this effect what tiers you have access to?

Soul used to cast psycomantic abilities cannot be healed for 5 minutes per tier. So three soul used on a Neuronic penetration cannot be healed for 15 minutes

As written, I would take this as each ability used does not stack the soul healing cooldown time.

E.G. You cast Neuronic Penetration 3 times, each one cost 3 soul which cannot be healed for 15 minutes. If the "cooldowns" stacked it would mean that, because you spent 9 soul total, none of it could be healed for 45 minutes. Which is this correct?

Pscyomantic Crush (s): The target is held still, and cannot move or speak, by one grade of strength. The caster is also held immobile, and must concentrate to maintain this ability. Any other action will break this. Each threshold the caster has reached adds another grade of strength.

I assume that this was meant to have a "should the caster or the target take damage, the effect is broken" somewhere in it?

This also leads me to ask. Are psycomantics releasable, like spells? Maybe this is in there and I missed it.

Walk on Element: Allows the character to walk on a specified element for the duration. Or, it grants ½ effect to that element for the duration.

Can this be used on any element of magic?

Neurone Death: The target suffers a massive temporary loss of memory, targeting the part of their mind that controls one of the following three aspects; strength and dexterity, magic or abilities. The aspect lost should be announced at the time of casting.

Just to confirm, this will remove 1 of:
1 - Strength AND Dex
2 - Magic
3 - Abilities

Psycosematic Soul: 3 skill. A point of soul only used for casting psycomantic abilities that may be healed as normal (5 minutes delay per rank still applies).

Is this a ranked skill? As written you can only buy 1 psycosematic soul.

Is the soul lose from using Psycomantics considered soul damage? (for people who would consider playing Angelkin Psycomancers)

............................................................................Image

Hatsuo1980

Re: Mind over Magic

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 pm

I guess if noone replies it all works as written? :)
............................................................................Image

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

I guess I'll weigh in on this (we have to stop doing this Andy)

Point 1.) Given what is written in the first part I would agree with you, although the rulebook kinda contradicts this afterwards (As below it infers that the maximum would be 4 given alignment restrictions.) As written it looks like 5 skill cost per tier. So 15 skill spent in total.

A player character Psycomancer gains one tier
when starting and an additional tier at every
threshold, up to Epic (120 skill). Each tier after
the first costs 5 skill.

Goodly Psyomancers can (eventually) cast all
three tiers of goodly psycomancy, and the first tier
of neutral.

Neutral good can (eventually) cast the first and
second tiers of goodly and both tiers of neutral.

True neutral can (eventually) cast the first tier of
goodly, both tiers of neutral, and the first tier of
evil.

Neutral evil can (eventually) cast both tiers of
neutral, and the first and second tiers of evil.

Evil can (eventually) cast the first tier of neutral,
and all three tiers of evil

Point 2.) 15 Minutes - If it doesn't say they stack, I wouldn't stack them.

Point 3.) There was a verbal clarification on the Crush being broken by dmg a while back.
Point 3a.) I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be.

Point 4.) I think classic elements, like laby Neuro-Mastery. So Air/Fire/Water/Earth.

Point 5.) Yeah, I see it the same way, 1.) STR AND DEX, 2.) MAGIC, 3.) ABILITIES

Point 6.) It makes sense to be a ranked skill. I imagine typo.

Point 7.) I would say yes?

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm

I feel like a while back the threshold restriction came in because Chee(?) had Tier 3 abilities on a low level adventure (59 skill?) and it was deemed too strong.

As such I was under the impression it was one per threshold achieved, the free one effectively counting as the one 0 threshold, total of 2 at 30-59, 3 at 60-119 etc.

I know this isn't reflected in the wording but I believe that to be the intention.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 pm

I guess I'll weigh in on this (we have to stop doing this Andy)

Point 1.) Given what is written in the first part I would agree with you, although the rulebook kinda contradicts this afterwards (As below it infers that the maximum would be 4 given alignment restrictions.) As written it looks like 5 skill cost per tier. So 15 skill spent in total.

It makes complete sense that it should be "Gains 1 psycomantic tier at starting and may buy one at each threshold, starting from heroic". The wording just isn't clear. Maybe they are expecting people to unique Tier 4 psycomantics at 400 skill? :)

Point 2.) 15 Minutes - If it doesn't say they stack, I wouldn't stack them.

This is what I thought

Point 3.) There was a verbal clarification on the Crush being broken by dmg a while back.

This may well be the case but it doesn't really help unless everyone is on that adventure/event.

Point 3a.) I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be.

Again, I would assume this is the case, like it is for spells.

Point 4.) I think classic elements, like laby Neuro-Mastery. So Air/Fire/Water/Earth.

Not light and shadow? (Light and Darkness, like laby)

Point 5.) Yeah, I see it the same way, 1.) STR AND DEX, 2.) MAGIC, 3.) ABILITIES

Solid :)

Point 6.) It makes sense to be a ranked skill. I imagine typo.

Hopefully

Point 7.) I would say yes?

Nice

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Luke wrote:I feel like a while back the threshold restriction came in because Chee(?) had Tier 3 abilities on a low level adventure (59 skill?) and it was deemed too strong.

As such I was under the impression it was one per threshold achieved, the free one effectively counting as the one 0 threshold, total of 2 at 30-59, 3 at 60-119 etc.

I know this isn't reflected in the wording but I believe that to be the intention.

The intent doesn't really change anything.Having T3 psycomantics on max 59 skill adventures is doabe because of how 3 eyed people work :)

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 pm

There was a plan to release a revamp.

It is written up somewhere...

I'll push for that to happen.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Mostly, I don't think Psycomantics are that powerful. It feels like some of the abilities are in the wrong alignment, which just makes goodly way stronger than neutral or evil but generally it's not that bad.

It's like they start more powerful but balance out by around 70-80 skill, then mages just overtake them in power level and never look back.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 pm

PURESHARD LOL

(I kid.)

Phil.Priest

Postby Phil.Priest » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:44 am

Clearly this is missing from the current rules:
Attachments
MQ.jpg
MQ.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Kalist, Hope-Bringer, The Emissary of Hope
Lazar, God of Darkness
D'arvan Weyoun of House Aerielys
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Will wrote:There was a plan to release a revamp.

It is written up somewhere...

I'll push for that to happen.

Mumble, grumble, mumble
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “HoP Rules”