Haste

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Haste

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Did I mean to nerf the hell out of it? I really don't remember what was going through my mind. Did I just leave out a line?

Haste
Range: Touch
Duration: 5 Minutes
The target of this spell regains their dexterity as fast as they use it rather than having to rest. In game terms this means they gain 1 stacking DR to any damage that dexterity could usually be applied to taking damage to a minimum of single. This spell takes a great physical toll the target loses a point of maximum soul immediately and another every 30 seconds that this spell remains active. Any damage to your maximum soul damage is restored after 6 hours sleep. Every uninterrupted hour of meditation restores a single point of maximum soul damage.

It seems to now only grant 1DR. It used to be 1DR per rank of dex. The cost in max soul is pretty heavy if it's only 1DR (the only other standard spell with a max soul cost is Power Font which is substantially more powerful).

Thoughts?
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Re: Haste

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah you nerfed it for no reason :P

Good job :D

Then again, no one ever used it since the first nerf
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Which time?

Version 1 Haste:
Haste
Duration: 5 minutes
Type: Air
Effects: Once touched, the target is granted double their normal levels of dexterity. The spell takes a great physical toll, however. Every 30 seconds it remains active, the recipient loses a soul point, as their bodies are put through incredible strain. The spell may be ended early.

Version 5.3 Haste:
Haste
Range: Self
Effects: The target of this spell does not lose dexterity when struck in combat, but the dexterity still reduces the amount of damage the target takes. (eg. If the target has 2 Dexterity and gets struck in combat 3 times for double, they take no
damage). However, this spell takes a great physical toll and every 30 seconds that this spell remains active, the recipient loses a soul point. This soul damage can only be healed by resting. The target of this spell may choose to end this spell at any point.

Version 5.4 Haste (contradicts itself):
Haste
Effects: The target of this spell does not lose dexterity when struck in combat, but the dexterity still reduces the amount of damage the target takes. (eg. If the target has 2 Dexterity and gets struck in combat 3 times for double, they take no damage). However, this spell takes a great physical toll and every 30 seconds that this spell remains active, the recipient loses a soul point. This soul damage can only be healed by resting. The target of this spell may choose to end this
spell at any point after the first minute. Also, they lose a soul point when the spell is started. Finally, the damage taken from weapon blows may not be reduced below one using this spell in this way.

Version 6.0 Haste
Haste
Effects: The target of this spell does not lose dexterity when struck in combat, but the dexterity still reduces the amount of damage the target takes to a minimum of one. However, this spell takes a great physical toll and every 30 seconds that this spell remains active, the recipient loses a soul point. This soul damage can only be healed by resting. The target of this spell may choose to end this spell at any point after the first minute. Also, they lose a soul point when the spell is started.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Haste
Effects: The target of this spell does not lose dexterity when struck in combat, but the dexterity still reduces the amount of damage the target takes. (eg. If the target has 2 Dexterity and gets struck in combat 3 times for double, they take no
damage). However, this spell takes a great physical toll and every 30 seconds that this spell remains active, the recipient loses a soul point. This soul damage can only be healed by resting. The target of this spell may choose to end this spell at any point.

That one. The one during the Aquilla abuse :P
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:48 pm

What about this:

Haste
Duration: 5 minutes
Type: Air
Effects: Caster or target is granted double their normal levels of dexterity. In addition the targets dexterity (only) is restored every 30 seconds while being out of combat, rather than the usual 2 minutes. The spell takes a great physical toll, however. Every 30 seconds it remains active, the recipient loses a soul point, as their bodies are put through incredible strain. The taking of soul damage from this spell does not break the caster out of combat.The spell may be ended early.

I like the double dex idea, feels more airy rather than DRs which is much more earth and light. Also the regenning of dex faster makes this a much better skill for sustained combat, and really is a pretty solid power up. That's going to help casters a great deal more, as dex applies to more than just weapon blows. If you happen to be a dexy scout and you have it cast on you, or have multiclassed then you turn into a fast moving combat monkey.

Thoughts?

also would need better wording than the shambles I've left you.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 pm

I was thinking new spell: Super Haste (or maybe a better name)

Rank 4 or 5 as the bridge between Haste and Blur

Blur
Duration: Up to 2 minutes
This spell acts as per Haste except the caster may reduce damage to 0. This spell will last a maximum of 2 minutes and costs 1 maximum soul every 10 seconds which can only be regained in the same ways as Haste.

Maybe move Innervate to Air? Something that grants Dex feels more Air than Life and Life already has Invigorate.

Basic Haste
Doubles your dex. No soul cost.

Super Haste
Grants 1DR per dex possessed (reduces to minimum of 1), max soul damaged every 30 seconds.

Can probably stack Haste and Super Haste or Blur to have ridiculous DRs but if so it halves the amount of time taken to lose soul (15 seconds for Super Haste, 5 seconds for Blur).

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 pm

I take on the point about Dex maybe suiting Air more than DRs.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:05 pm

How about this:

Haste
6 essence
5 minutes
Recipient's dexterity is doubled.

Super Haste
10 essence
5 minutes
For the duration of this spell the recipient can replenish their dexterity (as per Second Wind but only affects Dexterity) as often as they wish for the cost of 1 maximum soul each time.

Mega Haste (Blur, whatever)
16 essence
5 minutes
Can use Supreme Dodge or Supreme Supernatural Dodge for the cost of 1 maximum soul each time.

DRs gone...Blur becomes a bit like a Power Font that can only be used on Dodge.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:07 pm

I think just have the spells as you have written them. No need for extra stuff, if someone wants to blow 20+ essence on being immune to physical for an encounter, and loses 1 soul every 10 seconds, 1 soul every 30 seconds (so bet 4 soul every 30 seconds) then let them?

Also YES TO MOVING THAT DEX LIFE SPELL.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Where's "Super Saiyan Haste"?

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:05 pm

In Unique Applications Inbox.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Meh, I guess the above rules for Haste/Super Haste and Mega Haste are ok.

(.... MUST. CONTROL. EJACULATE)

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:42 pm

It's not that good.....

....and your air elf is dead :D

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Glad you like them.

Seriously though, please tell me if you can see any problems with them. I don't want spells that are game breaking but likewise I don't want spells that will never be used as they're just not useful.

In my mind each sphere has certain strengths:
Air
Primary Focus: Movement (extra dex fits this more than DRs)
Secondary Focus: Mass Damage
Earth
Primary Focus: Protection
Secondary Focus: Slowing Enemies
Fire
Primary Focus: Damage
Secondary Focus: Mass Damage
Light
Primary Focus: Invisibility/Sight
Secondary Focus: Protection
Shadow
Primary Focus: Control
Secondary Focus: Damage
Water
Primary Focus: Slowing Enemies
Secondary Focus: Repair
Death
Primary Focus: Damage
Secondary Focus: Slowing Enemies
Life
Primary Focus: Healing
Secondary Focus: Harming abominations

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Nah, they are strong in certain circumstances but certainly not game breaking.

I feel that's what utility spells should generally be, suited for a specific purpose.

Return to “HoP Rules”