Serkanian Update

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Serkanian Update

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:40 am

http://www.heartofpargonlarp.co.uk/uplo ... emi7-1.pdf

Changes include:
Added (or re-added) class code of conducts
Rules for Silent Blades and masks
Added ability modifiers
Changes to Tiger Clan/Shaded Blades discussed elsewhere
Naming conventions
Kaisen is now a girl
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Re: Serkanian Update

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Great!

I would like to see something about shaded blades included, maybe them being sort of wandering monks. Item restrictions?

Maybe that's too harsh dunno
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Luke wrote:Great!

I would like to see something about shaded blades included, maybe them being sort of wandering monks. Item restrictions?

Maybe that's too harsh dunno

They are already worse than Furious Blades, why would you want to nerf them even more?
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:16 pm

I thought we improved them by making them stealth based?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Haha not this again, they are pretty balanced with Furious Blades (can't be bothered to repeat what has been said already). Furious blades also have the pretty strict code. I'd just like to see them be a little more shaped, maybe.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Ben wrote:I thought we improved them by making them stealth based?

They are improved :) they are still worse imo and certainly don't need to be made even worse by adding item restrictions for no particular reason
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:25 pm

What if (to make it 'worth' them rewrapping their sword) they get some sort of first strike ability affecting the first blow after they unwrap the sword?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

No particular reason - to further distinguish two similar classes within the context of a culture, inherently different from the rest of Velmaneth.

It was a tentative suggestion, no need to be rude.

@Ben, a bit like Doki's double damage? I think that probably makes the most sense. Though 'worth' shouldn't really come into it, it should be because it makes sense to wrap your sword. I like it as an idea though.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Sorry Luke, i'm not sure what part of what I said was rude.

Shaded Blade has, to me, always felt like a hybrid between Absent Blade and Furious Blade. It's never been as "tanky" as a Furious Blade, as it always had armour restrictions in the past and hits per were expensive due to it's Stealth based mod. It could hold up to Absent Blades in that they had the same mobs and both used unarmed frequently. It lacked the extra dimension that Absent Blades offer in healing, however, so was never quite as useful.

It's fine, the class serves a purpose but it's just in the awkward spot where it's not as good as other classes trying to fulfill the same role.

I don't think "double damage first blow" is the way to change this however. I always like something "funky" for Shaded Blades - maybe first strike can do one of knock back, knock down, stun, disarm or something.

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Just felt it was dismissive. Water under the bridge.

I think the extra 2 grades of damage from two handed is probably enough distinction - so there I agree.

I don't think there needs to be anything 'special' to be honest, you draw your sword because you wanna hit stuff hard and from further away than your hands will let you. Wrapping it is just a sign of respect. If people abuse the sword and overuse it then there will be consequences. Maybe their Kami get's tired or something. I personally don't like the idea of encouraging people to wrap their sword for an ingame reward, being a bad ass monk who holds back and then comes out swinging is reward enough ;)
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:48 pm

'worth' shouldn't really come into it, it should be because it makes sense to wrap your sword.

True but it's something they do. It's in the rules to do it. It doesn't explain why they have to do it while no one else does and there's no tangible benefit to doing it.

They used to get +1 damage when using their sword but that just encouraged them to use their sword as much as possible when the background says they only use it in the direst of circumstances.

@Ben, a bit like Doki's double damage?

Yeah, that was the idea. First strike has a special effect might be cooler than damage though as Andy says. Would First Blow Pure Shard costing you 1 maximum soul recoverable in the standard ways be too silly? You can't choose NOT to do so so you'd only draw in the direst circumstance because you'll lose 1 max soul whether Pure Shard is useful or not?

Ideally I'd like an in game reason for them not to use their sword but when they do they're amazing. How about, if they sacrifice 1 chi until sunrise they gain +X damage for 5 minutes (where X = 1-5 based on threshold). You're not going to do that much except in the direst circumstances. If you use your sword without sacrificing this chi (and therefore not gaining the additional damage) then you cannot use this ability for the remainder of the day.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 pm

In the past it was always "dire circumstances", which was ambiguous at best lol

When necessary definitely sounds better :)

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Anyone who owns a scabbard only draws "when necessary"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 pm

I like what you are thinking, Ben.

Maybe the draw back shouldn't be that you "have" to use the benefit but maybe something like "if you use your sword when it isn't required you suffer the disbenefits of your weapon being broken as your kami refuses to aid you further" or something?

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:06 pm

The problem with anything like that is that someone (a ref) has to judge it.

If it's a cool effect every time you draw your sword but with a high cost every time you draw your sword (whether you hit anything or not) then the player is in control. They make the judgement as to whether it's necessary or not: if it wasn't necessary they've punished themselves and the refs don't have to.

The sensible thing is to fight with your hands until you realise the situation is desperate (you can't kill whatever it is, there are too many of them, too many of your friends are down etc) then pull out the sword. Those are the moments I want to see and that make the Shaded Blade unique.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “HoP Rules”