Serkanian Update

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Hatsuo1980

Re: Serkanian Update

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Sounds like a unique i'd apply for
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:07 pm

A might make a board split into segments with a spinny arrow thing to see what rule to try next...
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Physical Chi based TOD

Actually as it's not costing chi it can't be chi based. Magic based isn't very Serkanian. What's more Serkanian...?

Ah yes, Pure Shard based TOD.

So that it's not broken, the target gets something cool...like being immune to magic for 30 seconds?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:13 pm

"Ben's board of death"

Split into 12

1 spell from each sphere (Touch of Death x 3, Disintegrate Limb x 5)
1 ability from force, battle, cunning (Damage Focus 10 grades x 3)
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Hatsuo1980 wrote:"Ben's board of death"

Re: "Ben's Pure Shard board of death"
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Sonny

Postby Sonny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 pm

again ben great work and thanks for taking the time to re-do this all and work in the new stuff ^^ looks and reads like a treat

question though due to something i did
Absent blades may not wear armour or use weapons other than simple sticks/staves.

what about anti magic door frames, treemen, or giant treemen's arms.... XD do they count as simple sticks?
or should i avoid using what ever comes to hand in a pinch?
I'm not a big fat monster...... I'm THE Big Fat Monster
Sonny "McCuddles" Bigwood ((185))

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm

As long as it's not LARP safe it counts as an improvised weapon and so is fine to use in the heat of the moment

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Done
Attachments
Board.JPG
Board.JPG (17.86 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Would giving Shaded Blade Combat Postures work?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:22 pm

I think they are fine, not having the Furious Blade code is good enough! I've considered asking to swap classes (just cause I don't think the code fits me very well). We tried some spends and there is relatively little difference in it balance wise.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:43 pm

A furious blade gets -2 to martial (and a +2 to Max Damage). This doesn't just cover extra locations, strength and weapon skills but also soul points (which affect spell resistance and max chi). On top of this they can go ambi and have a sword in each hand.

I know you feel they don't need anything extra and you're probably right, they don't 'need' it but a little cool thing might help them seem a more attractive option.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

Just an idea I've been playing with to make them very different:

The Shaded Blades – The Earth Caste
Martial +1 Stealth 0 Academic -1 (or even Martial +1 Stealth +1 Academic -2)

If you know your enemies and know yourself then you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know only yourself but not your opponent then you may win or lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.

In Shade’s death we learnt the power of deception. When we are able to attack, we must seem unable. When using our forces, we must appear inactive. When we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away and when we are far away, we must make him believe we are near.

The Shaded Blades are masters of the art of war. While the Furious Blades rely on strength and resilience and the Silent Blades on speed and stealth, the Shaded Blades use their knowledge of tactics and strategy to overcome their foes.

Under normal circumstances a Shaded Blade will only use their personal weapon (a 42’ blade such as a katana). They cherish their blade: it is the weapon they have trained with and to use another would show the kami of the blade great dishonour. A Shaded Blade will only draw his sword as a last resort preferring other methods of conflict resolution or unarmed combat where other methods have proved ineffectual. The rest of the time it should remain covered at their side.

The Art of War
Dexterity and Unarmed count as Academic skills for a Shaded Blade and so their Academic modifier applies when purchasing these skills. Their maximum damage is also defined using their Academic modifier.

Shaded Blade
When using his personal weapon a Shaded Blade can utilise any ranks he possessed in Unarmed Combat as One Hand or Two Hand Sword (this does not stack with any ranks of One or Two Hand Sword already possessed).

One with the Blade
Upon drawing his weapon all the Shaded Blade’s chi is drawn into the blade and until the weapon is covered once more the Shaded Blade had no chi. However, the blade gains +1 damage per threshold (i.e. 0-29 skill = +1, 30-59 skill =+2 etc).

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Honestly? Really don't like it. I get where you are coming from and yeah you could learn stances and form from a book (unarmed prof) but not dexterity. You can't read dexterity.

Also stealth is basically a dud section once you take out profs and dex. Academic is a good section, you have magic DRs, immunities, senses and judges etc. This change would mean shaded blades get two handed sword profs cheaper, in academic!

I think the bonus to damage also seems kind of silly, you're a weedy mage, do Ten.

I really don't think there is a problem with shaded blades. They are fine!! I blame myself for bringing it all up!
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Postby Edd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Just leave them? Agree with Luke that not having the furious blade restrictions is enough. Keep them dex based, keep them as they are.
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm

You can't read dexterity

The idea was that 'dex' does 2 things: grants extra damage and negates damage.

By learning exactly where on a person to hit you do extra damage, by learning where a blade will land based on where it started and how fast it is travelling you can avoid damage. Was kinda thinking Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes.

Also stealth is basically a dud section once you take out profs and dex. Academic is a good section, you have magic DRs, immunities, senses and judges etc. This change would mean shaded blades get two handed sword profs cheaper, in academic!

Yeah, fair point. If this were to be a goer I'd leave dex in stealth and just have the prof in academic (as per staff prof).

I think the bonus to damage also seems kind of silly, you're a weedy mage, do Ten.

Have a minus to academic doesn't make you a mage. Doing 10 (or whatever) would only be at high levels. The idea was that when you take your sword out (a last resort) you can't resist magic, regen, dodge or do anything else you might do with chi: you end up able to call high damage but that's it.

Like I said, just an idea I was playing with.

Keep as they are is always an option, it's not been ruled out, I'm just looking for *something* that makes them more unique that Furious/Silent/Absent Blade with less restrictions and gives a point to *not* using their sword all the time other than us saying they have to keep their blade shaded because that's the name of the bloody class!

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “HoP Rules”