Rules Update: Faith and Churches

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Hatsuo1980

Re: Rules Update: Faith and Churches

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:48 pm

spsblue wrote:I love Andy

I love you too
............................................................................Image

BlueTressym
Location: Exeter, but known to frequent Velmaneth, Haven, Evereska (FR), and Palmire City (Island Kingdoms)

Postby BlueTressym » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:51 pm

He's my hero! Make him a ref again
(WoA): 'Lia' Goldmoon; Light elf Celebrant of Lenamo
Kendra; Cat, Curious, - and ALIVE!
Mirya Sohail; High Mage and expatriate
'Rilla' Moonheart; "Bad-Ass Life Elf" - ?!?!?!
Amavaine Kalythaer; Elven/Avian Sorceress

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm

BlueTressym wrote:He's my hero! Make him a ref again

Dang Lorraine. That means so much to me, I'm gonna cry. I best tear open a box of tissues..... :D
............................................................................Image

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:15 pm

The idea of having max 5 faith to spread between however many gods makes sense, I support that idea. So, my character would get two favour at the start of each day and could get favour abilities up to rank 2 in Lenamo, and first favour ability in Quaos.

Although I think I prefer the idea of being able to combine faith up to 5 favours (don't know if that was already decided upon or not), but still only being able to get the faith benefits according to faith ranks in individual gods.
Maximus - Jehovern Celebrant
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:33 pm

If combined faith maximum of 5 was selected I would imagine it would be either:

1 - Favour X and Y (where X is faith in 1 god and Y is faith in another god). You gain access to abilities of X and Y to use favour X and Y

2 - Favour is X (where X is your combined faith). You gain access to abilities as per 1. You may use any amount of favour on the abilities you have access to.

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I agree. Capped at 5 seems good. Everything else seems to be already explained in the rules of the OP.

You gain favour equal to your combined faith (capped at five).
You gain access to the domain abilities equal to your faith in that God.
You cannot spend more (starting) favour on a God's domain abilities, than you have faith in that God.

None of the above is affected by gaining additional faith in game - a ref will tell you which God it's from.

EXAMPLE:

Adam is Faith 3 in Lenamo (Life, Death), and Faith 2 in Gerethenax (Neutral, Protection)
Adam starts the day with 5 favour (3+2)
Adam gains access to the first THREE abilities in Life and Death
Adam gains access to the first TWO abilities in Neutral and Protection

Adam can spend up to 3 of his starting favour on Life and Death (his Lenamo Favour, as it were)
Adam can spend up to 2 of his starting favour on Neutral and Protection (his Gerethenax Favour)

On adventure Adam builds a shrine to Gerethenax and a referee decides to award him with a point of favour.
That point can only be spent in Neutral and Protection, and doesn't count towards his maximum (which should be pretty self explanitory)
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:08 pm

This makes sense, doesn't make multiple faith too unbalanced, and is also logical roleplay-wise. I for one like this.
Maximus - Jehovern Celebrant
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:08 pm

if you cap favour at 5, nobody can use the resurrection.

i approve.

roleplaying an atheist is its own reward, you should get nothing for believing in nothing.

i think there ought to be a specific paladin and high priest benefit to each church. i also think these should not be public knowledge.
Señor Ref

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I think the favour you start with each adventure is capped at 5. Nothing stops it increasing after that.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Peter Levy wrote:if you cap favour at 5, nobody can use the resurrection.

i approve.

roleplaying an atheist is its own reward, you should get nothing for believing in nothing.

i think there ought to be a specific paladin and high priest benefit to each church. i also think these should not be public knowledge.

You cap faith at 5, not favour. Faith caps your starting favour. Solved.

In other words, what Luke said but more specific.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Favour is awesome.

I used Magic ones:
[/quote]1 – You immediately gain 3 essence per threshold. This ability has an instant duration.
I'd used all my essence to open a ritual circle (which is always cooler than giving all but one essence) and used this to enter med later.

2 – You may deny a spell cast within 40ft of you without spending essence. This ability has an instant duration and is retroactive.
Used this to deny the opening of a ritual circle

4 – For the duration you gain the knowledge of any spell you choose. You may cast the spell by spending essence equal to its rank as usual.[quote]
Used this to gain Elemental Immunity Shadow to cast on the Witch.

Loved it all.

Having had a read through from a player's perspective rather than a refs, I'd say that some are much more powerful/useful than others and perhaps it doesn't need to be a 1,2,3,4 and 5 in every set: in some it could perhaps have a couple of 1s, a couple of 2s and a 5 (or whatever). It seems a shame that some cool abilities that require 3 or 4 favour won't be used as the 1 and 2 are more usefull.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Glad you like the systematic element to it.

Happy for any changes to be made (of course), bu I am a bit burned out with Favour at the moment so would appreciate it if someone else could have a crack at it.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Ben wrote:
Having had a read through from a player's perspective rather than a refs, I'd say that some are much more powerful/useful than others and perhaps it doesn't need to be a 1,2,3,4 and 5 in every set: in some it could perhaps have a couple of 1s, a couple of 2s and a 5 (or whatever). It seems a shame that some cool abilities that require 3 or 4 favour won't be used as the 1 and 2 are more usefull.

I thought all abilities cost 1 favour (unless stated in the ability) and the level was the level of faith you needed to access it. for example the faith 5 good & evil abilities are 2 favour abilities but their 1-4 a 1 favour abilities.
Kirill Everni Archer from Saga 2012
Hebtab Telefret Arch Celebrant
"Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Oh yes. You're right. Bum...could have done more!
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm

But you couldn't have gotten the shadow magic immunity so you win some you lose some.

Also the magic 4 ability seems to be the only way I've spotted that allows you to brake alignment restrictions on spells, not saying this is bad just pointing it out.
Kirill Everni Archer from Saga 2012
Hebtab Telefret Arch Celebrant
"Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought"

Return to “HoP Rules”