Proposals for new skill, changes to elves and bards/rangers

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Hatsuo1980

Re: Proposals for new skill, changes to elves and bards/rang

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Ben wrote:Life, Death and High Elves can't get "Embrace the Elements" so can't get "One with the elements".

Don't High Elves buy Embrace the Elements once per threshold or is the skill named differently?

Do they still get this?
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Nope, doesn't.stack.
For simplicity, I'm going to say it works on how you look. Doesn't make much sense but best thing for ease, I guess your disguise is just that good.
Were creatures work on base race in normal form, beastkin in were form
Possessed work on base race.

Skill is named differently so doesn't work for High Elves.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:17 pm

So this would only be mandatory for new Elves, Rangers, Bards, etc?

I guess so? Don't want to make big changes to existing characters if they don't want them - not when there's nothing wrong with current system.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:31 pm

I think the system of:

if your existing character is affected by a big change (like to class or race), you can keep things the way they were, or you can choose to swap over completely (respending what is necessary). - without being a dick about it. I wouldn't want people using the 'old' faith system, because it isn't integral in any fashion.

If you start a new character then you use the new rules.

it won't be perfect, and there will be a lot of ''but my character'' ''what if'' - but if people are open an honest and just ask the club then there should be no issues which can't be resolved.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Luke wrote:I think the system of:

if your existing character is affected by a big change (like to class or race), you can keep things the way they were, or you can choose to swap over completely (respending what is necessary). - without being a dick about it. I wouldn't want people using the 'old' faith system, because it isn't integral in any fashion.

If you start a new character then you use the new rules.

it won't be perfect, and there will be a lot of ''but my character'' ''what if'' - but if people are open an honest and just ask the club then there should be no issues which can't be resolved.

Nah this is completely fine. I just like everything being written down so everyone is aware and understands :)

I like the changes personally.
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Hatsuo1980 wrote:I like the changes personally.

Aww fuck, I have to hate them now.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Luke wrote:Aww fuck, I have to hate them now.

thumbs up

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:52 am

Another query regarding Embrace the Elements/One with the Elements.

The new skill only allows the Elves to be healed by damaging spells of the element, I'm right to assume that they are now affected by the detrimental effects (i.e Halt, Quicksand, Whirlwind) etc. as it makes no mention that they're not.

Might be worth looking at High Elves from a balance perspective. Their racial being shit kind of balanced out the fact that Masters of the Elements (the buy immunities skill) was so OP in comparison. Now that they get Meta Circle 1 and a Psychomantic Glamour *and* still don't take double damage from an opposing element I would say they probably need tuning down to the level of the other Elves. (Perhaps the Master of the Elements maybe only applying to damaging spells?)

Masters of the Elements
Base Cost: 10 Skill
Effects: High Elves do not take double damage
from any element, and may purchase immunity to
any element (as other Elves) for 10 skill (One
immunity may be bought at each threshold). They
may not be immune to an element AND it‟s
opposite.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Stevie wrote:Another query regarding Embrace the Elements/One with the Elements.

The new skill only allows the Elves to be healed by damaging spells of the element, I'm right to assume that they are now affected by the detrimental effects (i.e Halt, Quicksand, Whirlwind) etc. as it makes no mention that they're not.

Doesn't "Embrace the Elements" make you immune to disbeneficial spells/effects of your element? I didn't see a wording change to Embrace, unless I missed it.

Stevie wrote:Might be worth looking at High Elves from a balance perspective. Their racial being shit kind of balanced out the fact that Masters of the Elements (the buy immunities skill) was so OP in comparison. Now that they get Meta Circle 1 and a Psychomantic Glamour *and* still don't take double damage from an opposing element I would say they probably need tuning down to the level of the other Elves. (Perhaps the Master of the Elements maybe only applying to damaging spells?)

Could add to "can't be immune to an element and it's opposite" with "once immune to an element you take double damage from it's opposite".

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:01 pm

Though that High Elf change might make it shit.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Ignore me entirely. Completely read it wrong, I thought "One with" was replacing Embrace. Didn't realise it was to compliment it. I retract all previous points.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Stevie wrote:Ignore me entirely. Completely read it wrong, I thought "One with" was replacing Embrace. Didn't realise it was to compliment it. I retract all previous points.

But the point about High Elf balance is relevant

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Glamour is currently non-specific in power base meaning no one can be immune to it (other than immunity to domination I think). Making it psychomantic is just for flavour really: it doesn't really change what it does, it's power level or how easy/hard it is to resist. I just like the idea that something deep within High Elves is psychomantic and it fits with Erathil being the first Psychomancer. Haven't decided whether to power it with soul or essence though: I like soul but open to opinions. I think it would be cool to make it the same as the Tier 1 evil ability:

Suggest (D)
Range: 40’
The character places a one word idea into a target’s mind. The target thinks the idea is their own unless it is too farfetched a concept. May add a second soul for a maximum of three words (e.g. “Lower your weapons”) or two
additional soul to increase to 7 words (e.g. “These aren’t the droids you’re looking for”).

Being able to buy immunity to an element each threshold is really cool, but is a significant amount of skill. When you're 119 skill, spending 30 skill to be immune to Death, Shadow and Fire (obviously) is a fair amount of your skill...it's worth it but it's still a lot. Remember that High Elves have a good academic mod (rather than martial/stealth) which counters it a little.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Ben wrote:
Being able to buy immunity to an element each threshold is really cool, but is a significant amount of skill. When you're 119 skill, spending 30 skill to be immune to Death, Shadow and Fire (obviously) is a fair amount of your skill...it's worth it but it's still a lot. Remember that High Elves have a good academic mod (rather than martial/stealth) which counters it a little.

High Elves have a stealth mod, not academic. (never really understood that)

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 pm

I think its fallout from warhammer high elves.

So just checking, as an earth elf you can buy Embrace for 10 skill and be immune to earth Detrimental. Then for 10 more skill you can be healed by earth?

So it's 20 skill for the package?

I'd say that for every case bar fire and shadow. That's probably overpriced. Not sure how to resolve that.

Shadow elf is now pretty bitching. I dig it.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “HoP Rules”