Proposals for new skill, changes to elves and bards/rangers

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Proposals for new skill, changes to elves and bards/rang

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:03 am

the preferred enemy rule sounds very assassiny, and to some extent clashes with the picture of rangers in my head.

Stolen from D&D rangers, but I guess it is a bit assassinlike.

Here's our Ranger rules

Rangers are masters of camouflage, and a natural with the bow or crossbow. Preferring to size up their opponents from a distance and then take them out before having to get too close, a Ranger is the master of survival, and can last days in the wild with nothing but the clothes on his back and the bow in his hand. A Ranger will defend woodlands beyond loyalties to anything or anyone else. Someone being unnecessarily destructive towards woodlands needs to be dealt with swiftly.

Spell Capacity: 2
Influence List: Air, Earth, Death, Fire, Life, Water.
Armour Limit: Special.

Guardian of the Forest: The character may not
wear armour with any metal but other than that has
no armour limit.

Survival: Should the character become stranded away from civilisation for any length of time, they can sustain themselves, and will never die lost in a wilderness (you never know, it might happen!). They are also able to sustain a maximum of two other people in such a way plus one for every 10 skill above 10 the character possesses.

Pass Without Trace: The character never leaves tracks in any environment.

Improved Pass Without Trace (H)
Base Cost: 8
Effects: The character leaves no trace of himself wherever he goes, and may not be smelt, heard or followed in any way (unless of course the follower can see the Ranger to follow him).

I don't think Survival has ever been used...and to be honest, would we ever say to someone "you're lost in the wilderness...no ranger with you? You're dead"? I hope not.

Pass Without Trace is ok but rarely gives any tangible benefit (happy for them to keep it: the favoured enemy...or something else we come up with could be in addition).

I just feel they're not played because they're just not very interesting.

Therefore I would like to try to convince you with the power of prose...

The term 'ranger' (literally one who ranges) was coined in the early days of Pargon to describe someone who didn't have a permanent home along with terms such as roamer and wanderer. This developed over time to mean someone who didn't live in any settlement, one who made their home in the wilderness.

Although similar to scouts and marksmen in many ways, they are actually very different for while scouts may seem at home in the wild, it is more their place of business and they will return to their lodgings in the villages and cities at the end of a day's work. Rangers actually have more in common with Druids for both have developed a strong connection with the wilderness, a connection that allows them to tap into the power of nature and wield its magic. It is said that a druid plants the tree and ensures its growth whereas a ranger protects it from harm.

In the 161st year everything began to change. When the glooms covered the world and only the cities were protected, the majority of rangers and druids died. For a year, as the living were trapped safe in the domes, the undead ravaged the world, destroying ancient forests for fuel for the forges and raw materials for weapons and war machines. Eventually the glooms were banished and the domes lifted but by this point the damage had been done and the world had been changed forever.

However, in the 163rd year, they descendants of the 51st Everni Outriders arrived from Stev, a world of lush vegetation. Over the next few years they used their unique knowledge and expertise to return Pargon to its former glory. However, during this time they had to deal with many threats to the fragile young forests: undead left over from the Soulless army of The Quarin, Elves fighting a war against humanity, beastkin claiming this new woodland as their own and so from the ashes of the Everni armed forces, the Outriders and the Woodland Stalkers grew a new breed who would defend the woodland: the Rangers.

Unlike the rangers of old, these men and women (of many races, not just Everni - this had been a stipulation of the Woodland Stalkers co-operation) were not just wanderers and hermits, they had a purpose, an organisation and structure and now, a decade later, though they still often work alone to protect the forests, when called upon to work together against a common foe, they are truly a force to be reckoned with.

Bit more like rangers of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones is the idea.

and rangers should have life/death in their influence list because they're scouty druids.

I'll meet you half way and let them have Life magic if they must.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:40 am

deal.
Señor Ref

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Bens right. Survival is shit.
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:03 pm

I know in reality it doesn't work but a potential for highly armoured, caster with a stealth mod is really good. I don't think they need buffing at all. I think they just need publicising. I would vote to keep Rangers the same, get rid of Survival.

Bard change is nice. I actually like the idea of granting an extra -1 to casting an element of magic. It's specific enough that only a few people will have access to that element, and I love the idea of telling great stories of Life magic (as an example), maybe the tales of Kalist, as inspiration. - Perhaps that's just a good idea for a unique.

Does Bard have an armour limit?
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:07 pm

When can we talk Druids?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Not sure I like the idea of Rangers having Life and not Death. It should either be both or neither.

If its possible for a ranger of goodly heart to learn life, it should logically fall that one of an evil heart should be able to learn death. Its never been the case that we prevent a particular "neutral" class from being able to go in a good or evil rp direction. (Ignoring Hopeslayers as they are clearly a certain evil niche).

@Luke - Agreed, let's talk druids (we had the animal talisman/totem idea a while back)

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Stevie wrote:Not sure I like the idea of Rangers having Life and not Death. It should either be both or neither.

If its possible for a ranger of goodly heart to learn life, it should logically fall that one of an evil heart should be able to learn death. Its never been the case that we prevent a particular "neutral" class from being able to go in a good or evil rp direction. (Ignoring Hopeslayers as they are clearly a certain evil niche).

I have to agree here. I always thought of the nature classes using death magic, in a sort of - speeding up the rate of natural decay (cause wound), sending bugs to eat out your eyes (remove sense), spores which paralyse your body.

I find Nature and Death are much more closely connected (in my mind) than Life is.

Both or nothing is my vote.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Luke wrote:When can we talk Druids?

druids are broken.
Señor Ref

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:41 pm

I'd happily see both druids and rangers lose life and death so have the opposite spheres to celebrants and bards.

Rangers are goodly really, no one defends forests for evil purposes.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Ben wrote:Rangers are goodly really, no one defends forests for evil purposes.

Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. My. Swamp.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Thom

Postby Thom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Ben wrote:I'd happily see both druids and rangers lose life and death so have the opposite spheres to celebrants and bards.

I like Druids in particular having Life and Death because it gives you the option in between celebrants and mages - Fire and Life or Fire and Death are impossible otherwise (with the exception of Godly Influence)

It's not an issue changing that, especially if you don't feel that's what their identity as a class should be, but if that is removed Druids need looking at because then they're just bad mages that can buy regeneration and maybe get double med but at the cost of meta, light/ shadow and the choice to be a high mage.

Personally, and this is probably a different discussion entirely, especially with Lenamo being god of Life and Death I don't think Life and Death magic should be quite so alignment tied. Shadow and Light too, but maybe less so.

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:48 pm

if i was going to change anything about druids, i'd give them N/A to Force.
Señor Ref

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Peter Levy wrote:if i was going to change anything about druids, i'd spit in their faces and burn their page in the rulebook.

Strong stance bro :P
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:10 pm

or i'd remove regen from the game.
Señor Ref

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Peter Levy wrote:or i'd remove regen from the game.

Don't do this.......
............................................................................Image

Return to “HoP Rules”