Meditation Changes (split)

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Erynion

Re: RULES CLARIFICATIONS AND CHANGES

Postby Erynion » Mon May 18, 2015 8:03 pm

I really like the med rules. Think this will definitely lead to more tactical playing and thinking things through rather than using a player (no names jack) to give us as much as we need And blasting through everything.
Erynion - Possessed wood elf - Dead again
Quinn - The jester - Dead
Anthony Landon - How much you paying?
Chase - The hunter - only nice character I seem to have :)

Ross

Re: Meditation Changes (split)

Postby Ross » Tue May 19, 2015 5:17 pm

I think that it is very helpful for players to be able to regain power over the day, what a low level mage can basically do in the grand scheme of things is nothing if they can't get power back where as warrior with a shield can keep fighting as long as they are stood up. How they get power is an interesting puzzle

It means that builds that are powers based rather than skills based become a lot less fun and interesting, if there is less essence around and promotes things that use other power bases, like psychics, sourcers, chi users.

I think that it depends on what you want from your system, if you want epic fights with power flying around all over the place you want lots of power most (not all) of the time or if you want to have a gritty tough time of it then reduce the power but more people will die.

It's not a matter of managing power in some cases as a healer you heal people, when you run out of power you stop healing people, people then start dying, if they hadn't healed some people earlier then those people die sooner. So you don't heal the rubbish people and you heal the better fights, so it becomes less fun to get involved because the healer has to put other in a priority over others and you create a culture of heal the people you know are worth healing. If your playing a very good guy type healer that heals everyone then you'll run out of power and people will die.

It also changes the buff spell game not sure how yet in my head, is it better use of a mages essence for a them to buff a weapon for 5 min than it is for them to cast 90% of their direct damage spells, because for the same essence the damage out put is likely to be much higher when you buffing a weapon (presuming your fighter is any good) especially at low level

Yes I hate the name mediate keep the skill but call it something else, no one wants to sit in a corner and hum for a hour but gathering energy and talking is a chance for roleplay. Be careful what you do with getting chi back because it feels like you are falling into the sitting and humming trap again.

I slightly worry you'll end up with people playing characters that run out of essence and spend the rest of the day feeling useless and in the way and you get the I might as well leave thing that happened to Rebecca's character before.
Kirill Everni Archer from Saga 2012
Hebtab Telefret Arch Celebrant
"Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue May 19, 2015 8:42 pm

I like that we try ideas, playtest them over an event and see how they go and then revert, keep or try something different.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Re: Armour hits

Postby Peter Levy » Tue May 19, 2015 10:57 pm

Stevie wrote:If we nerfed healing, we would likely see an increase in player deaths, one that's not necessarily due to bad game-play but because of a reduced healing output. Short term mistakes would be punished harshly, which I don't think should be the norm. This is because short-term mistakes that are instantly punished are hard to counter with good game-sense.

i do think this should be the norm. i want more deaths.

but, above all i want fights to look cool. if it becomes a flicking and prodding contest, people will die shittily. if it looks like edd's cover photo on fb, everything's better.

lack of healing makes people more scared. i want that.

low hits, high damage, huuuge risk. i want that; it's more real (hate this term....).

and fuck regen.
Señor Ref

Hatsuo1980

Re: Armour hits

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:12 am

Peter Levy wrote:low hits, high damage, huuuge risk. i want that; it's more real (hate this term....).

But we nerfed damage :(
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 am

Also if fighting is scarier then people won't fight cool, they will fight safe. No recoiling from blows, always going for the quick tap.

The idea behind nerfing damage was to do the opposite, low damage, high hits, less risk, more epic.

I feel like we, as a group, are at mixed intentions?
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Dom

Postby Dom » Wed May 20, 2015 10:11 am

Luke wrote:Also if fighting is scarier then people won't fight cool, they will fight safe.

Conjecture your honour! Logical i will accept but unproven.
"I genuinely have never enjoyed an event so much" Ben 08/09
"Never enough dead players" Will 2011
"Cutting off people's faces is Sick!" Malven aka Flash 2011
http://www.jitsu.me/Home.html

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:13 am

Dom wrote:
Luke wrote:Also if fighting is scarier then people won't fight cool, they will fight safe.

Conjecture your honour! Logical i will accept but unproven.

I disagree. Damage isn't scary.

Scary fights are the ones where you know you can win but find the balance of damage/effects to be challenging.

The Mouth fights - scary
The Annihilation fights - not remotely scary
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed May 20, 2015 11:59 am

Death is good. It stops characters from getting to the point where the system can't challenge them.

The damage calls we had made things silly and to challenge people it felt like we had to do more and more damage and to win the arms race players wanted to do more and be more resilient.

What if healing just takes longer to work? You cast heal 1, it immediately stops deterioration but takes 30 seconds to repair the damage?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Ben wrote:Death is good. It stops characters from getting to the point where the system can't challenge them.

The damage calls we had made things silly and to challenge people it felt like we had to do more and more damage and to win the arms race players wanted to do more and be more resilient.

What if healing just takes longer to work? You cast heal 1, it immediately stops deterioration but takes 30 seconds to repair the damage?

I don't think healing is that bad. Feels like we might be overreacting to healing a bit.

Defenses influence combat far more than healing - armour, globals, damage resistances, "free" hits per (like rockskin).

If you want to reduce the time on healing, you have to make repair take 30 seconds and can only be done out of combat, or similar.

Dom

Postby Dom » Wed May 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Ben wrote:Death is good.

We could just stop bringing characters back to life.
"I genuinely have never enjoyed an event so much" Ben 08/09
"Never enough dead players" Will 2011
"Cutting off people's faces is Sick!" Malven aka Flash 2011
http://www.jitsu.me/Home.html

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed May 20, 2015 1:59 pm

If you want to reduce the time on healing, you have to make repair take 30 seconds and can only be done out of combat, or similar.

I don't have to do anything! Power, power, power!!!

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Ben wrote:

I don't have to do anything! Power, power, power!!!

Ok you don't have to but you won't be dealing with the problem :P

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed May 20, 2015 2:03 pm

We could just stop bringing characters back to life

Generally speaking it's pretty rare but if a proper res is done, the same amount of power leaves the system as enters it so no actual increase.

I like people sacrificing characters for half skill on another. I keep all those bits of skill and essence and laugh at their foolishness.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed May 20, 2015 2:04 pm

Ok you don't have to but you won't be dealing with the problem :P

I've already forgotten the problem...that's the same as dealing with it, right?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “HoP Rules”