Druids

The place to talk about the rules of the system and to get any help with the making of characters etc.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

Druids

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:50 am

Stevie wrote:Animal Aspects?

Talismans?

Something along those lines.

Like vows but with animals.

Aspect of the Bear: Thick Hide - Your outer layer of Fur has +(1/2/3/4 Dependent on threshold) extra hits

Aspect of the Tiger: Savage Blows - Your first/second blow in combat deals +2/+1 damage, must be out of combat for 2 minutes for this to reset. (I.E You normally call quad, you charge in, 6, Quin, Quad, Quad Quad)

Aspect of the Owl: Piercing Vision - Gains "Acute Vision" (Do we have that as a ability?) can pierce through most stealth effects. (Not sure on this one.. breaks the fun a lot of players have with stealthy characters..)

Aspect of the Shrew: Swift Feet - When running away from battle gains +4/8/12/16 Dex for the next 15 seconds (This dex is only active whilst actively running away from battle, and will only reset after 2 minutes out of combat)

Kinda Hi-jacked thread, but yeah.. Druids get this now pls.

Discuss.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Re: Druids

Postby xochiquetzal » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:22 am

Me gusta. :D

So, in practice, a druid character would have to do the same thing as celebrants with their vows, and then carry around talismans with them which they can use to activate the different aspects? Or would these aspects be passively always active, but they can only have a limited number of them? Also, what are the downsides to these aspects, because the celebrant vows all have something that you have to do/not do for them to keep on working.
Maximus - Jehovern Celebrant
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:38 am

Well Ben was just suggesting removing Celebrant vows, so we don't necessarily require a direct comparison.

For me the issue with Druids is all in the mods. They can't compete with Arch Celebrant or High Mage on any level, with the small/large exception that they can buy regenerate. I would suggest a better magic modifier.

I like the idea of aspects, but I am not sure how they should work. What's the vision of the druid? Is it a sort of Nature version of A.Celebrant and H.Mage? or Is it a more Barbarian style class? I feel that aspects fit a Barbarian class more than a Caster class. Is there a way we could achieve both of these roles in one class, or could we possibly split them?

My leaning would be:

Druid:
gains -2 magic modifier, +1 Cunning, N/A Force, N/A Battle
gains -2 academic modifier, +1 stealth, +1 martial
keep the grove

Barbarian
gains -1 force, 0 battle, +1 cunning, N/A magic
gains -1 martial modifier, -1 stealth, +2 academic
can buy above aspects in the same way that warriors can buy stances

I am not completely convinced this is a good idea. Really I am just trying to create discussion at the moment.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 am

Make them shamanic and give them benefits based on how many essence users of the same race are on adventure?
............................................................................Image

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 am

Well, before my image of a druid was a tree-hugging spriggan-loving mad old hermit, and I never felt inclined to play one. Looking at those aspects, the image I have now is closer to an Arctic Circle shaman, who dresses in furs and has antlers and does tribal dancing etc, etc., (not to stereotype at all) and so I think a more barbarian leaning would maybe fit better.

If druids had no ability to buy magic, then perhaps something like this could happen:

Spirits of the Forest

A druid can learn 2 spells per threshold that reflect themselves and their role, and the knowledge of these spells is kept inside some kind of talisman. As long as the druid has the talisman on them, they can cast these spells for the normal amount of essence, after making a small player to the nature spirits. This can mean anything from kneeling and whispering, to dancing and chanting.

I have no idea if this would work at all. What I meant by 'reflect themselves' is any spell that fits the druid's combat role, eg. if they are a fighter, then they could learn rockskin/earth strike. I don't know whether or not that is worth considering.
Maximus - Jehovern Celebrant
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Return to “HoP Rules”