Seeking information

For events within Gweria

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Seeking information

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:02 pm

**After following the knights with the largely unconscious party, Quayle takes some time to himself to consider the day.

Picking up a pencil and piece of parchment he sketches an old, dark, gnarled tree. Next to the tree he sketches the same tree but with a single branch stretched out with a single acorn hanging from the tip. Finally an nlarged picture of the dark acorn.

He considers the picture for a few minutes before finding one of the knights they had travelled with**

I'm looking for someone with knowledge about the enemy you face. Not tactical knowledge, but knowledge about their ways, history, religion, that sort of thing.

**Quayle**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:58 pm

With the worst passed, the fort had returned to its usual state of quiet readiness. Quayle finds one of the knights he recognises in the mess hall. He looks up as he is addressed. "Unfortunately, the person you'd be looking for would be Brother Cyral. He studied our enemy extensively, but both he and his work resided in the fort to the south. After him, your best bet would be Sister Fallath. I know she's been studying under Cyral, but I don't know how much. That is if she's still alive. I know she was here when the siege started, but it's been a bit chaotic since. Give me a moment to finish eating, and I'll see if we can find out what's happened to her. Any particular reason for the questions?" He returns to his meal while he waits for a reply.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:45 pm

**Quayle sits down**

I am sorry to disturb you, I'm sure your rest time is extremely precious at the moment. There are two reasons really.

The first is that we found a peasant tied to a post. He had been turned into a zombie and his soul trapped within the undead form. A not attached to him said that this was in punishment for rape and murder of innocents. I cannot imagine this to be a punishement eked out lawfully so I was interested in knowing if there was any precedent.

The second matter is even more strange. We found some markings on the ground. When activated the first summoned zombies, the next I am unsure of but the final one trapped souls within some form of magical barrier.

**Quayle pulls out the paper with the trees and acorn sketched on it** Does this mean anything to anyone? This wasn't physically there but there was a vision of it holding the soul and it agreed to release it back into the body.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:21 pm

The knight looks at the picture and shakes his head. "No, I can't say that reminds me of anything in particular. Well, save for most of the landscape to the east, of course. As for the shackled undead, I've heard tell of one or two similar things found by our patrols. Can't say I know the details, seems to be something the Gwerians do on rare occasions."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:49 pm

**Rolls up the sketch and stows it in a pouch** I have not travelled these lands before, what is to the East? And do you know what causes the trees to appear like this?

On the subject of the shackled undead, is this their form of justice? Are those who suffer it usually guilty of the crimes of which they are accused or are the charges invented?

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 pm

"To the East, Gweria proper. The whole land's dead or dying, though I can't say I know what causes it. And as for the poor souls they condemn, they aren't in a position to say, and we've got more pressing matters than what the Gwerians do to their own. Sister Fallath might know more, but I can't guarantee it."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:19 pm

I will speak to her when she is available, I do not wish to interrupt her if she is busy but any information is better than none at all.

How safe is it to travel in Gweria? Are there troops everywhere or just patrols?

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:41 pm

"It varies, though we don;t tend to go very far in as a rule. Sometimes you can travel days without seeing a single corpse. Others, you can't take three steps without walking into one." He shakes his head. "Right now would probably be bad, but then they might be too busy fighting each other. They do that sometimes. I know there are different factions of the creatures, but distinctions beyond whether or not they're trying to kill us right now tend to blur."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:57 pm

As long as they are fighting each other then they are not trying to take this fort. What now though? Defend this one or do you have the numbers to try to take back the other two? I will give you all the assistance I can but I am only one man.

In the meantime, I would like to see the land to the East for myself, if you have any of your own patrols going out I would like to accompany one of them. What of the living inhabitants? We did not encounter many, are there cities...villages...homesteads out there and are they preyed upon by the Hopeslayers on in league with them somehow?

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:10 am

"I don't know what the plan is. I doubt we have the numbers to retake both forts, but perhaps one.

The only living inhabitants I've seen from the east are the Hopeslayers, so I don't know, but I'm sure that an extra sword would be appreciated."

He goes back to his food, and quickly finishes eating. "Right, if we go and talk to Brother Yurik, he should know where Sister Fallath is, and also where you can most usefully direct your aid."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm

It is possible that there are sell-swords, thrill-seekers or simply those who wish to help in a good cause back at Pathway who might venture here to assist, I will send word.

**Stands up** Lead on, please.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:41 pm

The knight leads the pair off through the passageways of the fort. "Hmm... I'd sooner trust a brother knight than some thrill-seeking sword swinger to have my back, and sell-swords have their own issues too. But we might not have much choice." After a couple of minutes, the pair emerge into a coutyard where a large, imposing man is barking out instructions to a group of adolesent boys unloading carts. The knight walks over to the man.

"Brother Yurik, ... Quayle was it? One of the warriors from Pathway. He has some matters he would discuss with you."

Brother Yurik turns and looks Quayle up and down. "Very well, what is it? Briefly, please, you bought us some time, but I don't intend to squander it."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Brother Yurik, it is a honour to meet you. My name is indeed Quayle, I have long waited to see the forts of my fellow knights.

I believe most of my travelling companions left as soon as they received healing and payment but I decided to remain here to see if there is any aid I can give and indeed to find out more information about the threats you face here.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:43 am

Brother Yurik nods. "Not all, but most. If you want to be useful, we could use the extra manpower for our patrols. What information were you looking for?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:54 pm

I would glady assist with the patrols, I would like to see some of Gweria, in particular...

**He unrolls the paper with the tree and acorn sketched on it**

...anything that resembles this. One of my travelling companions had his soul ripped from his body by some sort of magical trap. I believe this tree may represent what took it or returned it.

It is possible that the tree is merely a metaphor, that whatever it was could appear however it wished but that to me it appeared as a Tree of Death: the antithesis of the Tree of Life or of Boltab wood.

But I am also interested Gweria itself and how it survives.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “Gweria”