A Shattered Shrine

An in character discussion location for characters within the Heartlands.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

dainul

A Shattered Shrine

Postby dainul » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:23 pm

Herfilligr walks toward the nearly deserted shrine, the chill of the approaching winter barely regsitering to him after months spent in the glade he had dedicated to Koliada and her kin. As he approaches the shrine, a dragon kin calls out to challenge him, but he does not react. It is not until he physicaly walks into the kin that he even notices its presence. Shaking his head with a somewhat surprised look on his face, he takes a step back.

"I said who goes there?"

Herfilligr regards the lizard-creature for a moment before replying. It looks unlike the Shurikan he hadd been fighting alongside and against recently.

"My name is Herfilligr Skuldaligd." He pauses. "What is this place?"

"And what is your business here?"

Herfilligr lets the lack of an answer pass. The lizard obviously desired to keep strangers out, but the spirits...

"The locals seemed fairly insistant I should come." The lizard looked slightly confused, or at least that's how Herfilligr interpreted the tilt of its head, so he added simply "Spirits."

There was a pause before the lizard replied again. "Styg sent you?"

"No. I haven't seen him since Pathway."

Another pause, before the lizard gestures toward the interior of the shrine, and goes to consult with his comrades.
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:09 pm

Another Kin energes from the shrine his almost white hair is flecked with blue
and he carries two swords that seem to give off an aura of their own.

"I an Dracon Korrin leader of these water kin, You do not seem dangerous, so you may enter tell me though why are you here?"

He steps aside and follows the stranger into the Glade.

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Herfilligr continues into what used to be the shrine propper, looking around, listening to the echoes he could hear and the other could not. After a moment, he turns to the creature, and tries to explain his reasons and purpose.

"The spirits of this place are in need of... support. Something that was here has been violently removed, and many of them feel somewhat lost now. They called me here."

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:23 pm

"There is an atmosfear here that seems a little unnatural," Replied Dracon. He walked to the eadge of the pool and looked up at the waterfall. He turned and walked to a small patch of bare ground. "That is where Jasdu fell, nothing wants to grow there now, there are signs of life every where but here, maybe in the spring."

He sighs "the kin are getting restless, its time we moved on, I can arrange for some to stay and help guard the place if you want, though I feel you are quite able to do that yourself. I dont think that the cultists will be back."

Another kin walks over, Herfillgr recognises him as Adama Loki though there is a shadow of sorts around him that makes him appear slightly blurred. He looks tired.
"I have to go Kriska has woken." He turns to Herfillgr "This is a beautiful place would you object if I were to visit it from time to time? There is something about it that brings me peace."

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:31 pm

((Herfilligr has not knowingly met Adama Loki.))

Herfilligr follows the creature as it talks, and stops for a moment, looking across the pool. He speaks quietly, only half to the outside world. "That was unexpected. Looks like she survived, although whether that's a good or a bad thing I'll just have to wait and see." When the creatures stops again, he replies. "Jasdu's dead? Things just keep getting better, don't they?" He sighs, "I think I'd rather have some solitude, to be honest. I'm not really one for unneccessary company, and the Earth Elves have set up not too far away if Erathil gets jealous." He looks up as the second creature approaches, and replies to him "I don't see why not, providing you don't do anything stupid, like trying to kill me." A brief pause. "How is Kriska? I haven't spoken to her or Neptune for a while. Has she found any answers yet?"

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:44 pm

"Kriska seems ok at the moment though how long that will last I dont know.
Neptune is not with her at the moment the realms of the dragons and the kin have been turned on their heads all hell has broken loose with one of the dragons joining with chaos. I am linked with neptune he can hear what I hear and see what I see and sometimes it works the other way round."
Adama shakes his hear "I think at the end of the day it will drive me insaine
or kill me as neptune once told me. anyway this place is now yours, thankyou for letting me visit, I will do my best not to try and kill you and I will not enter this place unlessyou have said its ok. Good luck."
With that the two kin leave quickly followed by the others leaving Herfilligr on his own.

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:31 pm

Herfilligr watches the group leave, and then spends a while walking around the area, listening to the spirits surrounding him, and getting to know the physical location. The shrine itself seems slightly off, empty as it is, a deserted creation of human hands. Before long, he has found a few choice places to sleep, small nooks sheltered from wind and rain. Somehow sleeping outside this winter seems like a rather bad idea.

After this, he spends some time gathering food from the surrounding lands. Simple things - berries, nettles and the like, as well as some fire wood. Then he sets to the important work. He concentrates, and pushes his senses through into the spirit lands. Around him, he finds a world in flux, lawful enforced balance having been removed, the place had been a battleground for opposing spirits for a time, and the scars of that battle mirror the scars left in the material world. Looking around, he spots his first objective - a flock of crows picking over the remains of the fallen, and the shock-induced spiritual echoes of the material battle.

As he walks toward the flock, a ripple of feathers indicates an acknowledgemtn of his presence. Some beaks rise, and avian eyes turn to peer at him hungrily, and a voice is somehow heard within the screetching of the feasting birds. "What do you want, live one?"

Herfilligr regards the flock awhile, realising that what he had taken for a collection of minor spirits was actually one large, powerful agent of death. "I am Herfilligr Skuldaligd. I would seek to make this place my home, and would forge an alliance with all spirits that call this place their home."

More crows look up now, and a fight breaks out amongst some others in which can be heard a dark, mocking laughter. "You are known here, live one. Your alliance with our enemies has not gone unnoticed, and you come here to bargain with us?"

"I have had dealings with spirits of life, true, but also with some of your brethren. You fight here, a war that has been unleashed now that those who lived here before have stopped enforcing their static, unchanging ballance. I will not help you win this war, let this place become a place of death, but I will not allow you lose it either."

The crows erpupt into the air, circling Herfilligr, a few leaving cuts as their talons bite into him. "You offer us aid!? We rule here! What do you offer us but lies?"

Herfilligr staggers under the attack, but holds his own, and channels his magic to close the wounds, causing the flock to back away, and circle further out. "I will be yours eventually, carrion pickers, but not today." Once he has healed himself fully, he speaks again. "You would rather I sided only with your enemies then? I doubt they will have a problem with me, or accepting my pact. I come to you first to show you that I am a friend to all of this realm, all who have a place in the ever-shifting seasons, anyway. I shall be here, and I would rather not be here as your enemy."

The flock circles awhile longer before responding. "We shall see, live one, where your idealism gets you. We shall see whether you are ally in deed as well as word." And with that, the flocck rises, and flies off out of sight, and Herfilligr allows his senses to return to the same world as his body, and moves to his make-shift camp to get some rest.

dainul

Postby dainul » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:19 am

The following morning is bright, if cold, and Herfilligr sets out a way from the site of the battle. He walks out, away from the blasted lands, into plains of waving grass. He stops after a time in a small copse of trees, and sits to have some food. After a time, a sound disturbs him from his reverie. Laughter, a child's laughter, but not in this world. Confused, as he has never witnessed a spirit to exist in the form of one of the sentient races, he pushes himself across, to see what is there.

Once his senses are in place, Herfilligr looks up, toward the source of the laughter, and sees a small, blonde-haired boy dressed in simple white clothes sitting in a tree. He flinches as a thrown acorn passes clean through him, and the child seems rather put out.

"Aww... that's no fun, you're not here."

Herfilligr pauses a moment, unsure how to deal with the spirit before him. "No, I am not of your world, I can but percieve it. Who are you?"

The child listens to Herfilligr's words, and an expression of mock seriousness comes over his face. "I am Raynen, and this is my land." The expression drops, and returns to one of childish mischief. "You're far too serious." He jumps down from the tree, rolling as he lands, then scrambles back up to his feet and looks up at Herfilligr. "Come on, let's go play a while. It's bee aaages since anyone's been here. Anyone who can see me, anyway."

Herfilligr pauses, uncertain how to deal with the spirit, human as it apprears, but he goes along with it, wanting to build friendships, and curious about the human-shaped spirit before him. Before long, he finds himself playing hide-and-seek, tag and other such games as the spirit's sheer joy and innocence prove to be wonderfully infectious, and providing a strange sight to anyone who might have been passing. Too soon, though, the spirit stops. Looking toward the fast-setting sun, he speaks. "I have to go now." He looks back to Herfilligr, the sun behind him now, and his clothes and hair seeming to glow in the evening light. When he speaks, his voice is different, still a child's, but now carrying with it echoes of something much, much older. His tone is serious now, not mocking like earlier, though still friendly. "Herfilligr Skuldaligd, do not forget today. Do not forget the joys of life and laughter and the courts of Life and Light shall not forget you." Before Herfilligr could reply, the child was gone, as the sun finally sets behind him.

Allowing his senses to return to his body, Herfilligr gathers his things and begisn to make his way back towards the shrine.

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:27 pm

As he makes his way back towards the shrine, darkness quickly closes around him, and the chill of the winter's night begins to bite. He increases his pace, not willing yet to risk placing himself at the mercy of Koliada's younger sisters.

The spirit world is quiet as he walks, most of the local spirits following their material counterparts' example, and resting with the sun. Different sounds begin to rise, as the nocturnal spirits stir from their slumber. As he walks, another sound, an unknown voice filled with malice and glee attract's his attention. The laughter he hears echoes oddly, seeming to overlap with itself and to originate from several directions whilst being clearly but one voice. He continues walking, but the unseen owner of the voice seems to be keen to follow him, the disturbing laughter seeming to drive his heart, to be inciting a rising fear he struggles to hold down. Eventually, he gives in and stops, focussing his will, and driving his senses across the wall between the worlds.

Around him, all is dark, although he can see a little from the light of stars and moons overhead. The laughter continues, echoing around, movements catching his attention from the corner of his eye, as he tries to pinpoint the origin of the sounds. He turns this way and that, jumping at shadows awhile before he stops, realising the rising unfocussed fear that seeks to control him utterly. He closes his eyes, and breathes deeply, forcing the fear from him as best he can before calling upon the gifts granted him by more benign spirits to drive it from him completely.

When he opens his eyes again, another child is standing beneath a lone tree watching him. The spirit appears as a young, dark-haired girl, dressed in clothes so dark as to be woven from shadow. She steps towards him, one hand trailing along a low-hanging branch as she fixes him with a malicious smile.

"You're a long way from home, little boy."

The sentence slams home with a force more staggering than any orc, and Herfilligr finds his spiritual defences being overwhelmed. It is all his magics can do to keep him thinking, and fear once again begins to cloud his mind. In his mind, he is also a child, smaller and weaker than the one before him. He attempts again to force down his fear, forces himself to meet the spirit's gaze. "What do you want?" Hoping to regain some control, he speaks out, thoughts of fleeing the spirit, of pulling back into his world and departing buried under the crushing dread the spirit exudes.

The girl laughs again, the sounds echoing off the shadows all around. A painful moment passes before she replies, her words beginning to overlap, starting before the last one has finished yet not sounding like multiple voices. "You spent time with my brother. Won't you stop and play awhile with me?" Her voice carries a mock sadness which only serves to accentuate the dark malice she exudes.

She steps towards him, holding his gaze as she reaches out to take his hand. Unable to resist, to move, Herfilligr stands, and when her hand touches his, his mind collapses. Visions of darkness, fear, shame flood his minds, accompanied always by the malicious laughter of the darker twin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The clearing is dark, impenetrable woods on all sides shrouded in darkness. In the centre, on throne of blackest obsidian sits the queen of this realm, dark hair, dark eyes, darker clothes. She looks at her visitor with a malicious joy matching the shadows of her realm.

Alexander sits, shivvering and naked before the throne, drawn to looking into the queen's eyes without truely wanting to. Eventually, she breaks the silence. "I return the question, little boy. What do you want?"

Alexander looks at her, as thoughts and memories not yet formed come into his mind, as parts of him struggle to make themselves heard above the dread. He wants to go home, to be back in his parents' house, to be safe... For a brief moment, he is lost in a wood, cold, scared, alone. He doesn't see the wolf until he almost runs into it. It, no she turns slowly to look at him... He wants to be free, to live ... He is returning to his parents' house, sneaking back in long after his curfew, and finds himself overhearing a conversation he did not want to hear. He steps in to confrnt them, only to be punnished for breaking his curfew ... He wants to be in control, to encourage spirit and man to talk and to understand... He is watching helplessly as his own body is taken from him, driven to acts of tremendous destruction, tearing appart mine and miners alike. For every act wrought, another is required as the spirit riding his body reclaims its home... He wants to preserve his home, to keep the marauding humans from that which he has built... He is fleeing, rinning from the woods he has called home, forced out by both encroaching army and former ally, crushed with dispair and grief... He wants...

Herfilligr blinks, his psyche finally reasserting itself even as it reels beneath the Dark Queen's gaze. Finally meeting her gaze of his own will, he replies. "I want... I have recently arrived in this land, and have been trying to forge friendships with the various nearby courts."

"And you fell into my domain." She peers at him, through him, judging him, mind body and soul. "You would try and befriend me?" She laughs again, the woods trembling at the sound. "Very well, little boy. Just be sure to come back to play time to time, ok?" And all is darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Herfilligr wakes, body coated in slowly drying sweat, the sun slowly rising to the east. Exhausted, he hauls himself to his feet, and continues back towards the place he has begun to call home.

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:50 pm

It is cold here, colder than the surounding area so much so that the lake has a thin covering of ice over its surface save for the area around the water fall.

Herfilligr is drawn towards the lake ghostly female forms seem to float just beond his sight though he can feel the power of the spirets following him.

A woman is standing on the shore and Herfilligr walkes up to her, she turns Her face is burned and scarred her beauty gone a bitter cold surounds her.
The back of her hand sends him slamming into a tree and icy fingers tear at his flesh.

"So you have new friends now do you, dont think you can get away from me that easily, no one desserts me without paying a price and you have cost me this," she points to her face and her eyes flash fury. "I will be back."

With a sudden blast of cold air she vanishes.

dainul

Postby dainul » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:25 pm

Herfilligr picks himself up from the ground, blinking blood from his eyes as he scans the surrounding area, looking for any sign of threat. Seeing nothing immediate, he concentrates, and allows his magic to close the wounds. He then walks over to the lake, and breaks the ice before cleaning his face.

"Your pride cost you that, Koliada, not my 'betrayal'."

He stands again, and heads back into the sheltered areas of the shrine, and ponders what her next move is likely to be, and what his should be.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: A Shattered Shrine

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:16 pm

**Quayle wanders around the area searching for a shrine that members of the resistance had spoken about but that he had never personally visited**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:58 pm

After some time exploring the area he was directed to, Quayle finds the shrine, or what is left of it. It seems that the shrine itself used to be a truly formidable structure, built of fashioned stone, but now it stands as crumbling ruins overgrown with ivy and interspersed with saplings. As he walks the area, Quayle gets the distinct feeling of being watched, although no observer aside from the local wildlife reveals themselves. After a time a familiar figure, dressed in long brown robes and carrying his shield and staff emerges from around one of the structures. "Ah, Quayle. The Murder told me I had a visitor of some kinship to them. I thought it might have been you. I guess you got my message, then?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:00 pm

**Quayle turns round at the voice then lowers his sword**

Yes...father Gui told me there was a message, I came as soon as I could but got waylayed.

I don't think I understand...murder? Kinship?

**Quayle**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 pm

"Yes." He gestures to the treetops around them. "The Murder is around. Are around? I'm not certain whether it is one spirit or many or whether that question has any real meaning. Either way, it is of death, much like that tree you had some dealings with. I understand you took part of it within yourself?"

Return to “The Heartlands”