A Shattered Shrine

An in character discussion location for characters within the Heartlands.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: A Shattered Shrine

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:08 pm

**Looks at the trees looming above them** Do you speak of Dakron or something else?

I accepted the power to undo what I had done and any consequences of that. I do not fully understand but I assume I will in time.

**Quayle**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:17 pm

"Hmm? Oh, not Dakron, no. The Murder appears to me as a flock of carrion crows, hence the name. Or perhaps because of the name." He returns his gaze to Quayle and looks at the man carefully before speaking again.

"Why? I dimly recall you shoving me forward and then... The night-child's voice was there. Distant, though. Then the pain and renewal." His gaze drifts away as he talks. He pauses again and returns it to Quayle. "Did you kill me knowingly? And if so what changed your heart?"
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:35 pm

**Quayle sits down on a piece of fallen masonry**

I did not realise that the reason you wanted to speak to me was for recrimination but I think I probably owe you a full explanation. Once I stepped through the first barrier something entered by body, something malignant, something evil. It attached itself to my soul and suddenly everything felt so...easy.

I swore myself to the knight's code and always took that oath seriously but suddenly it didn't matter, they were just words and I felt...free, truly free for the first time in my life. I thought it was a gift from Danahil but I think it was just a temptation.

I felt comfortable around that first barrier and wanted others to experience the gift I had been given but I was filled with an irrational fear or perhaps hatred of the second barrier. I didn't want to go anywhere near it but I needed to know what would happen if I did. You were my experiment but no, I did not kill you knowingly. Even the evil within me did not know what would happen.

What changed my mind? I used the last of my resistance to pray to Danahil and he explained that this was not his plan so I crossed the boundary again and the soul that had possessed me was driven from my body. I do not know why my soul remained within me when yours was trapped.

I prayed to Danahil for the power to join your soul and body once more but he said it was beyond his power but offered me a...connection to the power that could. I saw a tree, it offered me the power to do what I wanted but it warned me of consequences in the future though what they will be I do not know. I accepted its seed within me, swallowed it and allowed the power to flow from me.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 am

"Not recrimination, explanation. You took a great debt of chimanage upon yourself, and I wished to know why. What I went through... had I the strength at the time to realise it, I may have been more inclined to harm you. Now I have had a chance to think. There are not many who can claim to have experienced death, and in becoming one of them, I have come closer to understanding that Court. I breathe again, so I have little to complain about." He moves over to a wall, and with a practiced ease, climbs up to a window about half a story from the ground to sit.

"Do find a seat. And is there anything you want to know? About the tree or what you might have pledged yourself to?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:19 am

Pledged is an interesting word, but any insight you have would be appreciated.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:33 am

He looks thoughtful before speaking again. "The spirit you spoke with is a spirit of death. It doesn't feel corrupt, and from what it said to me, it seems to be strongly aware of the balance of the world even while it is bound to one aspect of it. The spirit world operates on symbolism and metaphor quite a lot, and I'm not entirely sure what to make of the acorns it favours. Seeds of death, but death does not normally grow. Perhaps it was not always a spirit of death, and retains some of its former trappings. Hmm... that's just speculation, you understand. I don't know of any other spirits doing that.

As for what you have taken on, chimanage is the currency of the Courts. Favours performed and repaid. Sometimes debts can be repaid in power, Essence, sorry, but that's considered quite crass, and usually only accepted if the spirit is in particular need or the debt is small. By swallowing the seed... I'm not certain quite what that would mean, how that would bind you to it. Be careful when accepting a price, though. From wha the spirit said to me, I should not have died, and perhaps restoring me was something the spirit wanted to happen, and you provided a way to do it. Be prepared to negotiate if the price seems to high, and be wary of accepting immediately a price that seems very low. Sometimes something is very important to a spirit that is trivial for us to do. Othertimes a spirit might try and trick you into performing a great service for it through careful wording or forseen consequences. I've fallen foul of both of those in the past. Has it spoken to you again since?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm

**Shakes his head** No, I don't believe so, though if it was subtle I suppose I could have confused me own thoughts with its.

I am not too concerned. By ending your life in the way I did, my own should have been forfeit. It rectified that, even if I later refuse its will the worst that it can do is kill me.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:05 pm

"I wouldn't be too certain of that. I don't know how powerful it is, but spirits understand ties of family and friendship, and it may decide that the debt should pass to another if you fail or refuse.

What did it say to you at the time, anyway?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:28 pm

I have few of either, by choice rather than circumstance. I trust in Danahil, god of freedom, to protect me and those around me.

It said very little...or at least I remember very little. It said it was death...not a god of death but the elemental force of death itself. I remember it offering me what I wanted and in return I had to accept a part of it within me. I accepted but then had to prove I meant what I said by swallowing the acorn.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 am

"Hmm... Well, I'm not sure what's likely to happen from that. If it's anything like what happened last time I allowed a spirit within me, I'd be careful, but you seem still to be you, so I guess it's not going down that route, at least not yet."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 pm

**Nods carefully** I seek a way to strengthen my mind against domination now, perhaps that will help, perhaps not.

If you do not mind me asking, what happened when a spirit took residence inside you?

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:57 pm

He replies in a level, factual tone that does not speak of anything more than exasperation over the events. "It flattened two barns, took me off to an open cast mine, killed all the miners that didn't run fast enough and filled the place in. It wasn't the spirit I was trying to channel."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:29 pm

I see. And what have you done to atone for these actions?

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:16 pm

"You live by a different set of values than me. The barns I regret, those farmers were unfortunate to be near my mistake. The rest... I cannot with any honesty say I feel regret for. The spirit was acting in self defence. In their ignorance, the miners were poisoning the land, killing the spirit. The actions were not mine, but I felt that rage, that pain. Even the Harran's restrictive laws allow for self defence."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Everyone lives by a different set of values, I try not to judge. That alone may break the knightly code but is part of Danahil's Way. My values are...complex and probably full of contradictions. I set high standards for myself but have seen too much while fighting against in the resistance to vilify others. In truth, I only asked to hear your answer.

I will soon be travelling to Dvarni, will you be joining us?

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “The Heartlands”