COSTUME CRAFTING [LINKS PAGE]

Talk about your greatest costume creation, or ask questions about how to get hold of / make certain things.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Stevie

COSTUME CRAFTING [LINKS PAGE]

Postby Stevie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:15 pm

I know quite a few people already craft pieces of their own kit, whether it be lovely looking leather pieces or delicate costume. Anyway, I often find links or patterns of things I want to make and never usually get around to doing it, but it might inspire one or two of you, and result in more fantastic costume for HoP.

If you find any links that you think others will enjoy just chuck me a PM, or post in here and I can add it to the main post! ;P (I'll add more when I get home to access all of my favourites)

Armour

Costume
Game of Thrones inspired "Northern" Fur Cloak - http://imgur.com/r/LARP/1FhbUVr
Traditional Samurai Waraji - http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-yo ... /?ALLSTEPS
Last edited by Stevie on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander

Re: COSTUME CRAFTING [LINKS PAGE]

Postby Alexander » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

“Fiore... of the noble house of dei Liberi of Premariacco... in his youth wanted to learn how to fight and the art of combat in the barriers. Of Spear, Axe, Sword and Dagger, and of fighting on foot or mounted, armoured or not armoured."

Carol the Cloak Lady

Postby Carol the Cloak Lady » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 am

I don't have any websites I can recommend, but if you are in London you can try these markets for fabrics, haberdashery, bags and other bits of useful kit:

Walthamstow Market (E17) (Tuesday to Saturday) There are more fabric shops and haberdashers here than anywhere else in London. The Asian fabric shops are always worth looking into. Fabric prices start at 50p per metre in some of the shops along the market! Most good quality fabrics/furs can be picked up for under 3-4 pounds. Haberdasher stalls in the market are BRILLIANT and helpful (there are also two haberdashery shops - Alladin Caves of Treasure!). If you want, say, chain or links, they can usually find it for you. Also check out the charity shops (there are several) for the odd wooden tankard (saw 2 at the weekend, 2.50 each), medieval style scribe's kit (bought it for a fiver: 2 quills, 5 nibs, 2 inks and 6 pieces of parchment in a rolled leather cylinder pouch!...drool[i]), leather and fur coats etc.

Deptford Market (round the corner from Greenwich), South London, (Wednesday/Friday/Saturday). Wednesday and Friday they have a LARGE second hand market section where you can find almost anything! Second hand costumes turn up virtually every week, of all kinds. plus loads of furs and leathers and the occasional weapon or two... The market closes at 1pm, so get there for about 10am and rummage with attitude! You can haggle here. Deptford also has two brilliant fabric stalls: Material Girl (Fridays only) sells offcuts of fabric from 1 metre-4 metre lengths and some accessories. If you need something like faux leather-backed fur, chainmail links, buckles studs etc., ask her. If she hasn't got it, the chances are good she can get it for you by the following week. Ivor's stall (Wednesday and Saturday) sells good quality cloth at rock bottom prices. The rolls on the floor are all 50p per metre. On the stall, 1 pound, and on the top rack usually 2 pounds. Stuff at the side will usually be VERY high end gear and set you back about a fiver a metre... I swear they must be getting their stuff off the back of a lorry... There are also several occasional stalls that pop up from time to time selling haberdashery and shoe/handbag findings, leathers, high end hotel linens and other questionable stuff, again at very good prices. Couple years ago I made several druid outfits from 4 Kingsize hotel linen sheets that cost me 2 quid each! These sheets were 9ft square and brand new! You never know what you are going to find. Take cash. Keep it hidden. Pickpockets do work this market.

FOR LEATHER/BUCKLES/LEATHERCRAFTING SUPPLIES: Go to J T Batchelor Limited, 9-10Culford Mews, off Balls Pond Road, London N1 4DZ. Batchelors is the only REAL Leather Merchant left in London, and they have been trading forever! They have every kind of skin you can imagine and more: right there in great piles. They also have an offcut bin just next to the front door with prices reduced between 50-90%.... The people are very helpful and knowledgeable. And the leather smell in there is just [i]heavenly.....[/i]

If you need any directions to get to any of these places, or someone to take you round, just get in touch. I love shopping trips....
Carol

Carol the Cloak Lady

Postby Carol the Cloak Lady » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:57 pm

I've found a really good charity shop in Wood Street, just past The Viking Shop (do you all know about the Viking Shop??? Sells LARP stuff???), London E17. It's an Asian one and they have saris and shawls from 2 quid to 5 quid. The oriental fabrics these are made from are beautiful and would be perfect to use for costuming. I've seen a copper/gold satin brocade which has my name on it...
Two other charity shops are worth mentioning. KIRF (Kashmiri International Relief Fund), at the Bakers Arms in Leyton (London E10), and also by Thatched Cottage in Leytonstone (E11), sell both male and female Indian outfits at rock-bottom prices. Saris from 2 quid, Moghul-style jackets and coats from 5 quid. Plus loads of junk jewellery, wall hangings, embroidered bits and bobs, metal and/or wooden plates and goblets/beakers/mugs and oriental style sandals, shoes and boots. They get new stuff in daily, so you never know what you will find. Definitely worth a rummage.
As soon as I hit the bank, I'll be back down to all three of the above, and I'll try and post pictures here of what I pick up. (:

Return to “Costume and Preparation”