Pagan/LARP Dressmaker - Hi Folks!

Talk about your greatest costume creation, or ask questions about how to get hold of / make certain things.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Carol the Cloak Lady

Pagan/LARP Dressmaker - Hi Folks!

Postby Carol the Cloak Lady » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:29 am

Hi, I'm Carol, I'm new and I'm a pagan/larp/re-enactment dressmaker. If any of you need clothing (not costumes: my stuff is made to be worn, so it's clothing, and it's comfortable, practical and durable!) and would like a copy of my sales brochure, contact me at carolkeo@hotmail.com. I can also make custom clothing in all shapes and sizes.

Give me ideas about what sort of kit you need, and the sort of prices you want to pay, and I'll see what I can do.

I'm based in East London, so I'm not sure how many events I'll be able to attend. I'm looking for anyone who might be willing to take my merchandise to events to sell on commission. Are there any IC/OOC traders out there who might be interested??? If so, get in touch.

Being London based, I have access to a lot of resources (markets, Asian shops, junk shops, other contacts etc.) for costumes and accessories. If anyone is looking for specific items, let me know and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Happy Hunting!

Carol

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Re: Pagan/LARP Dressmaker - Hi Folks!

Postby Will » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:16 pm

You should post some of you pictures. Her stuff is very very pretty :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Carol the Cloak Lady

Postby Carol the Cloak Lady » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:43 am

costume photoes 008.jpg
costume photoes 008.jpg (80.61 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
RosYellowcloakFull.jpg
RosYellowcloakFull.jpg (248.26 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
RosYellowcloakHS.jpg
RosYellowcloakHS.jpg (265.34 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Good idea - but I'm not very computer savvy, so I'm not sure if this will work.... Okay, I've got a jpg on the line above, I think. So now I'll try and add another one here....
I think that's done it.
Let me know what you think.

The cowl and the cloak are both made from Polar Fleece, and I have blockprinted the cloak. Pricewise, a cloak like the one here would cost you 45 pounds, and the cowl 10 pounds. Currently, I have fleece in black, brown, dark blue, red, emerald green and leaf green. On the cowl, the hood is close fitting, not lirpipe, but if you wanted an extra long pointy hood, add another quid to the price. If you wanted the cowl decorated, you have a choice of dozens of celtic knot/Egyptian/Greek/pagan printing block patterns, or if you give me a clear image, I can make up a block to your own design. The cost for that will depend on the complexity of the design.

Comments or questions, anyone???
would you like me to post some more pictures? Let me know.

Cheers!

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:37 am

That looks quite good. I like it that you make things that are practical to wear, and the hood looks quite thick. It is good to have clothes that keep you warm and dry and last a long time. What do you mean by fleece? It might sound like an odd question but someone once thought I was talking about an oil-based polymer when I mentioned fleece, when I was actually talking about an actual fleece.
“Fiore... of the noble house of dei Liberi of Premariacco... in his youth wanted to learn how to fight and the art of combat in the barriers. Of Spear, Axe, Sword and Dagger, and of fighting on foot or mounted, armoured or not armoured."

Carol the Cloak Lady

Postby Carol the Cloak Lady » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:39 pm

costume photoes 021.JPG
Grey fleece belted robe with block printed celtic borders
costume photoes 021.JPG (39.55 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Hi Alexander, thanks for your post. Yes, my LARP gear is made to be clothing rather than "wear-a-couple-of-times-and-it's-ruined" costumes. So I tend to use strong fabrics that don't tear and which are easy to wash and wear, but which still look and feel good to wear. Every now and again, I'll go to a festival or event and see someone wearing a cloak or robe, or see a banner even, that I made years and years ago still looking good and being used. That's how I judge my gear to be good quality. :D

Polar fleece is the soft brushed fabric that some hoodies and jackets tend to be made out of. Just go into any clothes shop and ask an assistant to point you to the "fleece jackets", and you'll be able to see the material first hand. It's also sometimes used to make tracksuit bottoms, but I haven't seen any in my area this season. It's made from a form of jersey polyester thread (made from recycled plastic bottles), and it's ever so practical because you can put it in a normal 30 degree wash, then stick it on the line or in the tumble dryer and then put it straight back on again, no ironing needed. IT also is very, very tough, so it does not rip or tear if you catch it on a tree branch. Being a jersey-type fabric, it is stretchy (but does not lose it's shape) so you are not restricted in your movements. Oh and when you use it to make cloaks, it flows and swirls beautifully! Fleece is a lot like a fine wool in that it acts as an insulator, so in Winter it keeps the cold out, and in Summer it can keep the heat off too.

Hope that helps.
Attachments
costume photoes 022.JPG
Block printed "Egyptian-style" table/altar cloth, can also be used as a wall hanging
costume photoes 022.JPG (75.02 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:20 pm

I just want to stress (and please don't respond by putting prices up!) that these are PHENOMENALLY good prices for such work. Looks like exceptional value for money.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Carol the Cloak Lady

Postby Carol the Cloak Lady » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:33 am

That's cos I'm giving them to you at "Wholesale" rates, not retail. I have this bee in my bonnet about people who want to join in being priced out of playing because of the high prices that shops charge for kit, which is why I'd rather sell direct. Buying from me, you are cutting out that middleman. some of the shops that I do sell to usually price my gear at double or even treble what they pay me. My philosophy is that if I make good quality clothes at reasonable prices, my customers will keep coming back, and also, hopefully, tell others about me, which increases my personal customer base, and reduces the need for me to sell to shops. Win-win situation for me and my clients (shame about the shops....).

PS: Don't pass this on to any professional retailers! (:

Return to “Costume and Preparation”