The Well in Ruins

A place for IC stuff in Dvarni.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

The Well in Ruins

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:07 am

**After fleeing through the tunnels, the remaining members of the party had exited the city via the North gate and headed anti-clockwise around the wall to the West gate. Where the North of the city was High Elf controlled, much of the South East was allied with or at least sympathetic to the resistance.

Instead of heading directly North towards the palace, Quayle led those who would follow along the wall to the south to the tanneries and leatherworkers where he spoke in hushed tones to several men who went off in different directions.**

**In response to the quizzical looks given by his travelling companions, he spoke as they moved swiftly towards the scene of devastation**
"They're old friends...I've asked them to get as many people together as possible and head up to the well, or what's left of it. They'll bring as many shovels as possible and hopefully some magic support, though Gods know whether it's safe to use magic up there."
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: The Well in Ruins

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:39 pm

**Quayle wraps the red piece of velvet from the handle of the mace around his mouth to protect from the dust and straps the mace to his back as he looks on the ruins of the great tower. He feels a cold shiver go down his spine before speaking slowly and quietly almost to himself**

"What have we done? Back when this was Erathil's palace this scene would have been a dream come true to the resistance, but now...it's just such a waste. I'm sorry Danahil."

**There are hundreds of people standing around, some scrabbling in the dirt, others are weeping and hugging family to them, many, many more stand gaping at the devastation. Quayle climbs onto a stone that takes him higher than most of the area around him before addressing the crowd**

"When Eremine departed this world nearly 8 score years ago, all the races under the sun came together near here and held a great council. Yashmanar himself instilled our ancestors with understanding of Her great creation. Together, as one people we decided to build a great city dedicated to our creator.

It was a magnificent, beautiful edifice made from the finest wood, stone and marble that She had created for us, we took the best she had given us and dedicated it back to her! It took a hundred years but together we created something worthy of Her: Dvarni, the City of Light.

We all know what happened next, what was built as a city for all to live in peace was taken as a city for the few and conflict ensued. However, that time is passed and now we stand together once more. It is time to put aside the rivalries and rebuild this city together, elf and human, dwarf and halfling, beastmen and shiraken, side by side as we did before.

Eremine is free once more, Erathil is gone, we now have the chance to join together and rebuild. However, before anything else, we need to work together to make sure there is no one trapped down there.

We need shovels, wood to shore up and support what remains, carts to remove the debris. We need mages and miners, healers and holymen and everyone needs to be fed, watered and kept warm. There's not a single person who can't help in some way so gather as many people and supplies as you can!"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:09 am

As the crowd starts to move, a large group of armed men push their way through towards Quayle. They wear the colours of Eremine, and all are looking grimly determined. Once they are free from the crowd, one who seems to be in charge calls out to him. "You have something that was stolen from us."
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:26 am

**Quayle climbs down from the makeshift podium**

"Indeed I do and as promised I will return it to Eremine. Unfortunately, as you did not trust it in our hands I do not trust it in yours. You have already managed to lose it once, I will give it to Jasdu himself and he can decide what to do with it. I cannot go to him now, there are people who need help here but if your people assist with this, I will accompany you all the sooner? Is that acceptable?"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 am

"No. We did not use it. We are not the ones who levelled a section of Dvarni with it. You also said that you would return it to us, not Eremine, not Jasdu."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:49 pm

**He talks, as he motions some of the locals to start clearing the rubble**

"You seem to know an awful lot about it, how it was used and where to find us and you arrived mere minutes after us yet we left you several hours ago and far from here. I said I would return it, I do not believe I was more specific than that. You managed to lose it and I think you are incompetant, you should be grateful that it is not lost.

Your men were bested by a small group of lightly armed and armoured adventurers, then, when half a dozen of you were supposed to be guarding it you ALL turned your backs so that it could be taken and you were only aware it had gone when I told you I could no longer sense the power radiating from it! I am not sure why you were entrusted with the job in the first place but I will not entrust it to such incompetant or corrupted people, to do so I would be as negligent as you.

The only member of the church of Eremine I have had dealings with who I believe this can be safely entrusted to is Jasdu and it is he who I will return it to. I have said that I will do so when the work here is complete, those are my terms."

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:05 pm

A snarl escapes the man's lips, and a small dart of fire lashes across the space between them to strike Quayle.

"Corrupted? We failed, I can't deny, but you accuse us of betraying our Goddess? You blame us for your actions? For your deceit? We have established the method of the theft, and contrary to what you may believe, such skills are not commonplace.

As for our knowledge of its use and where it was? It is an item of potent destructive power. You stated yourself that you intended to use it in Dvarni, so we followed you here, and sought the largest act of destruction visible. What we did not know when we arrived, we assumed and you confirmed. You consider this suspicious?

And what will you do before you meet Jasdu? Hmm? He is not renowned as the most easy of people to contact. Will you seek to use it again? Your actions thus far have cost how many lives here? You are fortunate that you didn't reduce Dvarni to something more like Naturlin's current state. I do not deny that we failed, that we are fallible, but you are clearly not as pure or infallible as you'd like to have us believe."

The conversation is beginning to attract an audience, and whispered conversations spread throughout those in the area.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 pm

**The lash of fire catches Quayle across the face leaving a vivid welt and he recoils in surprise and pain**

"Are you saying followers of Eremine have not been corrupted by Velnashar? Is it a that much of a stretch for me to believe that you or those you serve could have been as well? Your High Priest, Leythanar Scaleteller, had a letter from Jasdu telling us to awaken your Paladin. Your Paladin told us to retrieve the item and break the barriers Onlurin had placed on the Well. It seems there are definite disagreements in your ranks and I don't know who to trust.

We didn't mean for any of this to happen but I believe Onlurin's magic did this."

**He gestures to the rubble**

"Had he not sealed the well then none of this would have occured and I hope there is little loss of life but what we did, we did to save thousands of lives. Jasdu showed me a vision of Glooms covering the world and I think this was a first step in stopping that from happening. I am not infallible and I do not blame anyone for my actions but I did not deceive anyone. At all times I have been honest with you about my intentions. I did not steal this item, those who perpetrated the theft are buried under here".

**He gestures to the rubble again**

"If you wish to punish them, then first we have to rescue them. It may have been stolen from you but one of my companions tells me that you stole it from Velnashar followers in the first place, so any claims of ownership are hazy at best! What I do know is that your people attacked us and claimed the item was protected or in the process of having protections placed upon it and that preparations had already taken two months. As there was no sign of any magical protection and my companions managed to just pick it up I would suggest you are not the best people to protect it.

I really don't want it, I certainly don't want Velnashar followers to have it but if I was lax in my duty and gave it to you and you did something with it or lost it again then I would be responsible for anything that happens. I have said you can stay here and watch me, you can follow me until we find Jasdu and make sure I never use it but in the same way that you couldn't just hand it over to me, I can't just hand it over to you. Find Jasdu for me and this is all over much sooner.

Quayle

Tome of Magic 6.0

Lirael

Postby Lirael » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:04 am

Adreana was exhausted from the events that had occured and her legs still felt strange, as if they were not entirely hers, she found a large stone to sit on. There she quietly sat allowing the conversation between Quayle and the Eramine followers to wash over her only paying half attention. Her thoughts drifted to Malfurion and those who were trapped.
She looked over at the Eramine followers thinking about the little time that was left. There was little enough time for them to be argueing with the Eramine followers if they wanted to rescue the others before they ran out of air and supplies. She didnt even know how deep in they were trapped.

She remembered they way the Eramine followers on the hill had attacked them as they had tried to pass and with a quick thought of the pain her legs had endured decided to remain quietly seated. Quayle could surely resolve this quickly.
Ceiridd Lucksted

dainul

Postby dainul » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:48 pm

"You claim we are corrupted as if it's an established fact, and are surprised when I take insult? And if what you say is true, we have a little more than disagreement in our ranks. Jasdu is our high priest and Scalesalver our paladin. So who did tell you what? And no, I can't just find Jasdu for you, he often doesn't even walk this world, though I'd hope if you are telling the truth that he would contact us to sort this out."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:50 pm

"If you had spent time with the followers of Eremine that I have met and seen their actions then perhaps you would believe me. Eremine was imprisoned by her son, tortured to try and make her speak and mutilated in front of us. I have seen it.

Scaleteller was a powerful priest who we were supposed to meet but instead found her body, slain by Glooms. Perhaps High Priest was a poor choice of words. She had a letter on her telling us to go to a shrine where we had to awaken Scalesalver, the name had escaped me.

He told the party I was with to get the mace and remove the blockage from the Well, although I had sworn not to enter the shrine so remained outside. This was done in order to draw power to reimbue the Sentinels and thus restore the balance.

I hope he will contact us too for the only time I have met him when he was summoned to a ritual and I do not believe it wise for me to enter a circle any time soon."

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:57 pm

**As Quayle is finishing this sentence, a man in simple robes runs up to him holding a very large scroll of paper. The young man is beaming and runs in a rather ungainly way as if not used to doing such energetic things. Quayle turns away from the Eremine followers to speak to the new arrival.**

"Is that it? Well done, this is perfect"
**He unrolls the scroll and it crackles slightly as he does so before he lies it down on a large flat piece of masonry. He carefully weighs it down with a couple of rocks before scanning his eyes over it. After a couple of seconds, his eyes light up and he points at a point near the centre**

"Here, look! These are some of the architects plans for the palace, most don't include the tunnels but these do. There's the well there and these **he traces his finger along a couple of lines** are the tunnels we used earlier. But here **he points to another area**are some of the original maintenance tunnels. They're the first thing dug, they provide air, an emergency exit and a way to remove the debris that is mined. Erathil wouldn't have cared much about the workers but he wouldn't have wanted a collapse to set him back months or even years. These tunnels would have been sealed up when the main ones were opened but if we can find them, we might be able to get closer to those who are trapped."

**He turns back to the little man who brought the scroll**

"Take the plans and half a dozen men and see what you can do."

**As they hurry off, he spots the first carts arriving**

"Excellent, as many people as possible start loading the rubble. As soon as a cart is full, take it away, but don't go too far. The North Gate is blocked so best use the West."

**Work begins in earnest and Quayle returns his attention to the Eremine followers**

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:52 am

The man watches Quayle for a while and then speaks.

"You speak of a lot of things which I cannot verify." He sighs. "If you and yours had not disrupted our efforts, that item would be significantly more secure now than it was or is. Thankfully we were able to salvage some of our work." He gestures to one of his men who steps forwards with a cloth embroidered with complex, assymetric patterns. "This should conceal the power of the item for a time. Hopefully it will reduce the number of Velnashar's worshippers or other power-hungry idiots who try and steal it before we can find Jasdu."

Meanwhile a commotion rises in the distance as a sizeable group of elves approach the rubble, and an initial stand-off forms between the groups.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:46 pm

**He looks at the cloth briefly** "Do I have to fight your people for that as well or will you just hand it over?"

**As he speaks, his gaze travels to the new arrivals. He looks down for a moment, composes himself then looks back up with a wide smile before moving towards where the Elves are being hindered**

"Thank you for coming. I know we've all had our differences in the past but there are members of my kin and yours under here and if we can leave the past behind us and work together at least for the time being, hopefully we can save some people."

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Lirael

Postby Lirael » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Adreana looks at the two groups of people gathered and bored with all the talking, that seems to be getting them nowhere, she quietly slips away in the direction the carts went in to go and help with the removal of the rubble.
Ceiridd Lucksted

Return to “Dvarni”