The Font: Research

For In Character events within the Elven Heartlands

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

The Font: Research

Postby Huw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Ancalimon bent over a vial of water taken from Arnaud Guarhoth. Like so many things, it was simple at first, complicated in the details. Several poisonous reagents, purified and mixed. Then - and only then - ritually enhanced. To a great degree. Rituals didn't really surprise him, coming from Hopeslayers - how else did you make undead - but what was interesting was the knowledge shown in the raw poisons. That would need an alchemist; and a good one, not just some feckless necromancer banging boltab leaves together.

He turned to his notes.

No sustained ritual or source - one instance of poison - presumably at several sources at the same time.

Makes corpses more suceptable to undeath. Thus poisoning affects soul? Probably. Yet bodies scarred...

Contains disease? Or just makes people more suceptable to diseases already present?

Time to find out more. On a hunch he split a sample, added something different to them all. Healing ingredients? No. Shattered Demon Essence? Nothing. Pure White Flower? Aha, a reaction. So that would serve as an indicator...
Pouring those samples away, he walked to a cupboard and looked at the bottles inside. There. He took a small bottle and drank, held his eyes closed and waited for it to take effect. After a short while, new paths opened up for him, a sixth sense that he had previously had but had lost - made almost painfully fine.

He found his largest remaining Arnad Guarhoth sample and began to sift throught the intricacies of magic within it. (Sense Power 5 on the poison).

After five minutes, with what notes he had, his magic sense began to fade and he began some divinations, carefully, making notes as he went.

He went out of the door of his suite and began to walk down the corridor - then he stopped. Walked to the reception of the nearest school and looked at the receptionist, glanced at his feet, pushed his glasses up his nose.

"Hello. I need to get a message to the quartermasters here in Dvarni. There's a matter of some great importance to discuss. Tell them that it concerns a threat to all of Dvarni. Also..." There was something else - what was it? "Oh yes. Tell them that it's Ancalimon y Festaer y Helanwe, the potion master here. And it's urgent."
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Huw

Re: The Font: Research

Postby Huw » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

It took a couple of days, but eventually they came. Or sent representatives. Quatermasters, heads of religious orders, volunteers. Ancalimon led them into a lecture room and sat them all down. Then got his props: a small beaker of water, muddy, slightly reddish.

This is one of the most virilent poisons I have ever seen. It was used by a group called the Souless, undead and Hopeslayers, as a preliminary tactic in an attack upon Arnaud Guarhoth. It kills indicriminately.

They destroyed the Arnaud Guarhoth dome in a matter of days. This poisoning was the first step, sent into the water, and then armies of undead attacked. People were already dying by the time the armies arrived, so often all the Hopeslayers neede to do was raise fresh minions. After that...it was just a matter of time.

I see no reason why the Souless wouldn't attack Dvarni. Arnaud Guarhoth was unlucky in that most of the water was in one place, a central reservoir. Dvarni is different; we have several wells to draw from and we're more organised than packs of feral beastkin.

He takes out a small packet, reaches in and drops a pinch of some white powder into the water. The powder begins to fizz and blacken in the water, letting off a foul-smelling gas.

This is the best indicator I have so far. Take it in turns to get close to it, learn what you can about the reaction. If the Souless come after Dvarni, our first hint will likely be the poisoning. So if we're vigilant, we might be able to catch it before it becomes a big threat to the city.

You should already be testing the water as I explained when I first arrived, searching for diseases due to overcrowding. This will be another thing to add to the routine. According to my projections, I have enough of the ingredients of this powder to monitor the wells here for a week, provided we are sparing. A pinch every two days, put into a sample as big as this beaker. If there's nothing wrong with it, it won't do anything and you can just pour it back into the well. The powder is harmless. If not, tell me immediately,and get word to the army as well.

He glances at the floor, back up and pushes his glasses up his nose.

Right. Any questions?

It's only a game.

Huw

Re: The Font: Research

Postby Huw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Two days later, Ancalimon heads to the house, and onwards to the Colourful Island. Time to gather more ingredients, keep the city alert for hints of poison, and pass on the message. Keep his other home from attack - he'd be busy. City life was definitely more crowded than that on the island...

And on that note, lest he forget: compulsory military service. Joy oh joy...

It's only a game.

Return to “The Heartlands”