A Dark New World

For In Character events within the human lands of Sinya Palurin

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

dainul

A Dark New World

Postby dainul » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Reith steps back from his forge and plunges the new axe head into the nearby barrel with the familiar hiss and cloud of steam. Lifting it again, he lays it next to the forge to dry and admires the shimmer along the enchanted blade. The next task would be making a haft to match the head, but that could wait until tomorrow. Much as he does not like being without an axe at his hip, he knows better than to rush a job as delicate as this.

He lays the hammer down on his new anvil as gently as his demonic arm would allow, and steps out into the hallway, taking an appreciative breath of the relatively cool air of the university's fire-magic wing. He steps back into the forge long enough to pick up his well-worn shield and walks out into the late afternoon air.

Walking through Ingolé is a sobering experience. With the immediate fear of annihilation abated, at least a little, by the apparent stability of the translucent pink dome, people were starting to realise their situation a little more. This many people, with this little space and no ready supplies of food. Certainly there were supplies to last a while, but eventually reality was going to hit home. Reith wonders how long it will be before the subdued, resigned air gives way to anger, as fear of starvation overtakes fear of the glooms. Rumours that the Cult of the Pure Heart are able to survive outside the domes aren't helping matters.

Reith pushes the depressing memories aside as he stoops his head to enter the tavern he's taken to attending. It's not the closest, but he'd never felt comfortable drinking in the company of the university types. Too much reading and not enough living for his tastes. He catches the barkeeps eye and makes his way to a quiet spot near a window. Presently, food and a mug of ale arrive, and a little after that one of the wenches drops a sack next to him with a muffled clatter.
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: A Dark New World

Postby Ben » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 pm

**Quayle looks up as Reith walks in and smiles before standing up and moving over to the other man**

Hello Reith, I asked around and people said you tended to drink here. Mind if I join you?

**Quayle**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:04 am

Reith looks a little surprised to see the large man, but not unhappy. "Quayle, good to see you. Please do. How's the world been treating you?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:01 am

**Quayle sits down, a troubled look crossing his face**

"The world? For all intents and purposes, the world consists of a two mile bubble. I know there are others...they just seem so far away. As for how it's treating me? I spend most of my days walking around and around like a caged animal."

**He sighs before taking a deep breath, looking back up at Reith and smiling again**

"I just wonder whether when D'arvan offered us a choice of dome, perhaps I made the wrong choice...I thought I'd be able to do something here but the Telerfret don't seem to need anyone else, I feel more like a burden here than an asset. How about yourself, how goes the smithing? More or less business than usual?"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:32 am

"Different business." He gestures to the bag that had been dropped next to him. "More tools than weapons at the moment. I think people will want weapons again soon, but I'm not sure I'll want to make them." He looks around the room at the people sitting in small, quiet groups. He drops his voice to match before continuing.

"You remember the refugees who came to us south of here? You remember what they were saying about who gets to decide who gets in? Well, that turned out moot, but what happens when the poor bastards in charge have to start deciding who gets to eat? This place is going to need words, not steel and I don't know who's got the right ones. Better yet, we need to figure out how to reclaim some farmland, and soon."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 pm

**Quayle nods**

Well, before you give up making weapons, let me know...I like your work and would hate to miss out.

I have an idea about clearing some land...we have a couple of miles of surface to play with and no way of extending that currently, that leaves two directions: up and down. We can clear land for farming by either constructing much taller buildings, the dome must be hundreds of feet tall in the centre, or by excavating a series of tunnels.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Reith smiles slightly. "Ah, I'm not planning on giving up making weapons, just... I'm used to arming my kin. Now I'm aware I might end up arming a mob if I'm not careful. Now what's this carzy talk about farming underground? I'm no farmer myself, but I'm fairly sure crops need sunlight. Or were you suggesting we move underground and grow crops above? Actually, that's not quite as crazy as it sounds. And the digging could give people something to do."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 am

**Quayle smiles**

The farming would be on the surface, while people could live underground. It's not a perfect solution but with limited space, room for growing food must be at a premium.

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:05 am

"Might not be perfect, but it's better than starvation. And however practical, hope would turn people away from the mob. I say we find the right person and put the idea to them soon. Time isn't on our side. And try and argue for at least some of the uni lot to be among the first to move. Don't want anyone to be able to argue we're shipping the 'peasants' underground. Ridiculous term."

Reith pauses and then seems to remember something. "Oh, did you know Sundars might be on his way back? I got a letter from him. Apparently he impressed the Mother and her Consort enough that they're giving him a second chance."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 pm

"I said similar to Erathil after we'd completed the ritual...Ted prefers the term "goodmen", I assume that's not patronising.

The 'right' person is probably Silas Sage or one of his advisors."

**Quayle sighs**

"It's difficult...we basically chose which human tribe would become dominant. If the sentinel had been Everni, perhaps we'd be talking in Nandine right now. Or Mahtar...

**His voice trails off before he begins again quietly**

"Ever feel like we sentenced the Larkant to death?"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:17 pm

"We chose the place with the best defences, the only place standing up to the chaose leading up to the End. I would have come here, had you chosen me."

Reith pauses awhile before speaking again. "But I'd not really thought of it like that. There are some Larkant around, but not many. I gave my kin as much warning as I could, but... not enough. Beyond that... I don't know. I find it hard to feel close kinship to anyone now. I'll do what I can to make sure this isn't the end of the tribes, but then...? I'm not sure what the world holds for me now, other than a chance to try and salvage some redemption for my fuck-ups." He trails off gazing, half-seeing across the room.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:51 pm

"I feel a lot of my life has been all about trying to salvage redemption for my actions and the rest has been performing the actions I need to redeem myself for. Why does 'the greater good' always seem so bad?"

**He sighs**

"I would have come here too...and the reason? Because it had been defended from the Glooms, I knew there would be survivors. But maybe Mahtar was fighting them...maybe they were holding out...maybe if the sentinel had gone there..."

**He stops again**

"There've been no elections so I assume the Harans are all still alive...but I've asked around and Uthred isn't here. I feel guilty for what I said about needing a new Haran for this new world, he's a friend and I hope wherever he is he's alright."

**The man's face frowns for a second as if his brain has suddenly caught up with his ears.**

"How did Sundars send you a letter?"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:43 am

"Don't ask me. His father's a god. Can't think why anyone would try to trick me into thinking he's coming back, though." Reith trails off again, then after a moment says just "Imbued."

Chee

Postby Chee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:01 pm

A rather thunderous bang from the tavern door being slammed open breaks the somewhat subdued atmosphere in the tavern for a moment. The door way is filled with what appears to be a bright red, heavy set elf in dark red robes and dripping water from head to foot. His wet appearance is nothing compared to the dark and rather manic grin on his face that could be either be jubilation or extreme anger or possibly both. His narrowed eyes scan the crowd and quickly find Reith before his soaking boots slop and squelch their way over to the table.

Reith!!! BY LAZARS BLOOD! Your Bloody Alive! And in One Piece! And Alive! I was sure that end bastard had your ass!
Sundairs takes a seat with a rather ungraceful squelch, sending small amounts of water everywhere as he slaps Reith on the back in greeting.

Did you get the letter? Hum.. better question is did dad even bother to send it. BAH! it doesn’t matter now! IM HERE! Isn’t this Great! Im totally in mums good books now and dads given me a job and everything. Mum even made a joke, thats how you can tell shes in a good mood, most of the time its just a lot of scowling and shouting.

**Sundairs**

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm

"Doesn't look like someone was trying to trick you...hello Sundairs"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “Sinya Palurin - Ingolé”